How can I accurately measure g using freefall and a simple formula?

So if you find the slope of the graph, you should be able to calculate g.In summary, Matt is conducting an experiment to measure g using freefall. He is struggling with the formula and has substituted a for g in the equation S = ut ½ at2. He has also drawn a graph with S on the y-axis and t2 on the x-axis and calculated the slope to be 3.81ms-2. His notes indicate that g = 2m, so he can use the slope to calculate g. However, his calculated value for g is incorrect and he is seeking help to understand where he went wrong.
Matt.D
I’m trying to measure g using freefall. I’ve conducted the experiment and now I’m struggling with the formula. The formula we’ve been told to use is:

S = ut ½ at2

Substituting a for g (because that’s what I’m trying to find).

S = ut ½ gt2

The initial Speed is 0 therefore I can remove ut (right?) to leave:

S = ½ gt2

(right so far?)

Using my results I’ve drawn a graph that has the height of freefall (S) on the y-axis and t2 on the x axis. Working out the gradient as ΔS ∕ Δt2 = 0.40 ∕ 0.105 = 3.81ms-2

My lecturer showed me what to do next but my notes look hazy.

I have written down y = 0 + m x which I think is the same as s = ut + gradient x t2

Then underneath I have m = ½ g which I have equating to g = 2 gradient

I did try and use the directions that I’ve written down earlier, but I calculated g to be about 7, which I know to be wrong from textbooks and another experiment I conducted using a simple pendulum.

I hope the information I’ve given is enough. Any help as usual is always appreciated :)

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is "u" in the formula?

Initial velocity. He means [tex]\Delta{s}=v_{o}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex].

Matt, since initial velocity is zero, you are right in taking out the first term in the equation to leave

[tex]\Delta{s}=\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

You are plotting displacement as a function of the square of the elapsed time, which should be a linear function y=mx +b (in this case b=0 and x is time squared) which means the slope of the graph should be [itex]\frac{1}{2}g[/itex], due to the formula above (do you see this?). Therefore you can calculate g when you find the slope of your graph as follows:

[tex]g=2m[/tex]

This is due to the [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] in the equation of motion.

1. What is "g" in the context of freefall?

In physics, "g" refers to the acceleration due to gravity. It is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the center of the Earth when dropped in a vacuum.

2. How is "g" measured in freefall?

"g" can be measured in freefall using various methods, including a simple pendulum, a ballistic pendulum, and a freefalling object. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for an object to fall a certain distance and using the equations of motion to calculate "g".

3. What factors can affect the measurement of "g" in freefall?

The measurement of "g" in freefall can be affected by several factors, such as air resistance, altitude, and the location on Earth. These factors can cause slight variations in the value of "g" obtained through different measurement methods.

4. How is "g" related to weight and mass?

The value of "g" is directly related to an object's weight and mass. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, which is influenced by "g". Mass, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration and remains constant regardless of the value of "g".

5. Why is measuring "g" in freefall important?

Measuring "g" in freefall is important for understanding the fundamental principles of gravity and motion. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, aerospace, and physics. Accurate measurements of "g" can also help in predicting and understanding the behavior of objects in freefall.