Mass of water in container = .0231 g

In summary, the problem is asking for the mass of water in a container when a sample of silver is heated and placed in the water. Using the formula Q = mC(delta T), we can set the heat lost by the silver equal to the heat gained by the water and solve for the mass of water.
pmahesh107
A sample of silver with a mass of 63.3 g is heated to a temperature of 384.4 K and placed in a container of water at 290.0 K. The final temperature of the silver and water is 292.4 K. Assuming no heat loss, what mass of water was in the container? The specific heat of water is 4.184 J/(g C) and of silver, 0.24 J/(g C).

I don't understand what to do for this problem. When I set it up, I end up having 2 unkowns for water. Can someone please show me how to set this up? thanks

i tried it a number of different ways but the only way i could get mass was

4.184 = x/ 181.15 <- converted to celsius from Kelvin

4.184/181.15 = x

.0231 g = x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remeber two things,
first, the heat lost by the Silver must equal the heat gained by the water, and the heat needed to change the temperature of something equals,
Q = mC(delta T)

We are given the mass, specific heat, and (indirectly), the change in temperature of the Silver, so we can easily calculate the heat energy lost to the water by plugging into the formula.

We are given the specific heat of water as well as indirectly, the change in temperature (final - initial temperatures). We know that all the heat energy the Silver lost, the water absorbed.
Setting the energy lost by the silver (call it Q1) equal to the energy gained by the water (call it Q2) using the formula,
Q1 = Q2 = (mass of the water)*(specific heat of water)*(delta T of water)
Just plug in and solve for the mass of the water.

thanks. i forgot that the Q value for silver can be plugged in for water.

What does the mass of water in the container represent?

The mass of water in the container represents the amount of water that is present in the container, measured in grams (g).

How was the mass of water in the container measured?

The mass of water in the container was measured using a scale or balance that is capable of measuring small masses, such as a digital scale or a laboratory balance. The container was first weighed without the water, and then weighed again with the water to determine the mass of the water alone.

Why is it important to know the mass of water in the container?

Knowing the mass of water in the container is important for several reasons. It can help determine the total mass of a solution or mixture, as well as the concentration of a solution. It is also important in experiments and research, as it can affect the accuracy and validity of results.

What factors can affect the mass of water in the container?

The mass of water in the container can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the type of container used. Changes in these factors can cause the volume of water to change, which in turn can affect the mass of water in the container.

How can the mass of water in the container be used to calculate other properties?

The mass of water in the container can be used to calculate other properties, such as density and volume. By knowing the mass of water and the volume of the container, the density of the water can be calculated. Conversely, if the density of the water is known, the volume of the water can be calculated using the mass of water in the container.