Measuring High Voltage with Influence

This method is commonly used to measure the voltage on Van de Graff generators, even though they produce DC power. In summary, to measure the voltage on a Kelvin Water Dropper, one can use a generating voltmeter or other methods such as building an electroscope or using an electro field meter.
triac
Hi!
I am looking for a way to measure the voltage on a Kelvin Water Dropper that I've built. This is quite problematic since the charge is small and the voltage is high. The only way to do it, as it seems to me, is to measure by influence. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also use the field. Some suggestions:
- build a simple Electroscope with an arm that moves up if the device is charged (some have a scale)
- buy an electro field meter
- attach your buckets to a plate capacitor and rotate a coil inside
- measure the force between two capacitor plates
- do something with a cathode ray tube

triac said:
Hi!
I am looking for a way to measure the voltage on a Kelvin Water Dropper that I've built. This is quite problematic since the charge is small and the voltage is high. The only way to do it, as it seems to me, is to measure by influence. Any suggestions?

Build a generating voltmeter. This is a rotating "fan" that alternately covers and uncovers capacitor plates. Feed the plates behind the rotating part to a high impedance scope or other High Z AC meter. AC signal will be proportional to the high voltage without contact. These are commonly used to sense the voltage on Van de Graff generators.

Ok, thanks for your help!

bjacoby said:
Build a generating voltmeter. This is a rotating "fan" that alternately covers and uncovers capacitor plates. Feed the plates behind the rotating part to a high impedance scope or other High Z AC meter. AC signal will be proportional to the high voltage without contact. These are commonly used to sense the voltage on Van de Graff generators.

How can this work if Van De Graff generators produce DC power?

taylaron said:
How can this work if Van De Graff generators produce DC power?

The rotating "fan" alternately shields and exposes the voltage on the target, producing an AC signal via capacitive coupling.

1. How is high voltage measured with influence?

High voltage is measured with influence by using a voltage divider method, where a high voltage is divided into a lower voltage that is safe and measurable. This is done by using a high resistance and a low resistance in series, and then measuring the voltage across the low resistance.

2. What is the role of influence in measuring high voltage?

Influence plays a critical role in measuring high voltage as it allows for the safe and accurate measurement of high voltages. By using a voltage divider method with influence, the high voltage is divided into a lower voltage that can be measured without risking damaging the measuring equipment or posing a safety hazard to the person taking the measurement.

3. What are some common methods used for measuring high voltage with influence?

Some common methods for measuring high voltage with influence include using a capacitive divider, inductive divider, or a resistive divider. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on factors such as the voltage range, accuracy, and cost.

4. How can the accuracy of high voltage measurements be improved when using influence?

The accuracy of high voltage measurements can be improved by using a high-quality measuring instrument with a high input impedance, using a properly calibrated voltage divider, and minimizing external influences such as temperature and humidity. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions and use appropriate protective equipment when working with high voltages.

5. Are there any risks associated with measuring high voltage with influence?

Yes, there are risks associated with measuring high voltage with influence. These include electric shock, damage to the measuring equipment, and inaccurate readings if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to have proper training and knowledge of high voltage measurement techniques and safety protocols before attempting to measure high voltage with influence.