1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring LCD Flicker

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    I need help in building a LCD flicker meter using photodiode and a current amplifier.

The aim is measure the LCD pixels's flicker that can be detected by human eye so as to have a representation as electrical signal. This is to use it in cases where it's hard to judge if there is a flicker noise present or not, or if it happens only once in a while.

There is a big range of photodiodes available with frequencies up to GHz for optical communication. LCD refresh rate is 60Hz (so assuming this fact LCD flicker would also be <60Hz or assume <120Hz to be detected by human eye). Since flicker will appear as distortion (or may be RGB pixels in off state), I assume some filtering will be involved..

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2
    My first guess would be to first amplify the photodiode signal using an opamp and then send the amplified signal to a low pass filter (first/second order?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook