Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring LCD Flicker

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    I need help in building a LCD flicker meter using photodiode and a current amplifier.

The aim is measure the LCD pixels's flicker that can be detected by human eye so as to have a representation as electrical signal. This is to use it in cases where it's hard to judge if there is a flicker noise present or not, or if it happens only once in a while.

There is a big range of photodiodes available with frequencies up to GHz for optical communication. LCD refresh rate is 60Hz (so assuming this fact LCD flicker would also be <60Hz or assume <120Hz to be detected by human eye). Since flicker will appear as distortion (or may be RGB pixels in off state), I assume some filtering will be involved..

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2
    My first guess would be to first amplify the photodiode signal using an opamp and then send the amplified signal to a low pass filter (first/second order?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook