1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring magnetic field

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    hello.
    i was wondering if anyone could give me any good practical ways to measure the magnitude of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid with (varying) current(s) passing through it (more generally, how can i measure a magnetic field). any sugestions would help, even if its things like seeing how close the solenoid will get to a paperclip before it picks it up to using a hall probe. help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Three obvious things spring to mind.
    1, Simple/crude - how heavy an object can it pick up at what distance.
    2, Reverse the question - what current do you induce in another coil
    3, Accurate - a hall effect magnetometer, probably need 3 at right angles to get the total field.

4. Aug 21, 2007 #3
    4) Use a magnet of known strength, a small piece of iron, and then place the iron an equal distance from the point sources (estimate), and hang the iron from something in between the point sources. Both will attract the iron. The iron should hang slightly towards one of the poles. Change the distance of the known magnet. When the string it's hanging from is perfectly vertical, the magnetic forces are equal.

Create an equation using 1/d^2 and the known distances, the known magnetic field strength and the unknown magnetic field, and solve for it. Because of your crappy equipment, expect a margin of error up in the 100's of percents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?