1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Micrometres Question

1. Feb 10, 2004 #1
    I'd be very grateful to someone who could help me out here. I just started Biology and I'm having a hard time knowing how to calculate micrometres. It wasn't really explained well.

Anyway I've started out by estimating the width of a human muscle tissue cell in Centimetres. I got about 50 CM and the power was on high which was x100 I believe. The range the teacher told me was that it should be between 10 and 100 Mm and slightly smaller than the plant cell I took. I guessed and fooled around with the plant call and I got 60 Mm.

I'd appreciate if someone could help me better understand micrometres and explain how the got the answer to my problem.

I'm thinking I go 50 CM to 500 mm for a better figure to work with sniec Mm are 1000 mm. Then I'm stumped from there. They aren't very good microscopes so the original measurement was guesswork. But are CM's a good figure to estimate with.

Anyone who can help me I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1 m = 100 cm = 1000 mm = 1000000 um (u can be used as a shorthand for micro)

the measurement micro stands for 10^-6, milli for 10^-3 and centi for 10^-2

I hope that helps :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?