Measuring Speed Decay - Calculating Time to Stop

In summary, if you want to measure the speed decay of a ball rolling in a straight line, you would need to measure the time it takes to travel a certain distance over and over. You could do this by using a stopwatch or by recording the time and position of the ball using a stroboscope.
phutoo
Hi, I was wondering how I would find the speed decay of a ball rolling in a straight line, if i were to measure the time it takes to travel a certain distance over and over. i.e
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]
>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>
<---10cm--> <---10cm--> <---10cm-->
           ^           ^           ^
      record time  record time  record time[/FONT]

So then with those 3 time measurements (or less), could the time be calculated for when the ball will stop? This is just a question I've been thinking about for a couple of days and I just can't figure it out :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd end up with 4 samples of position versus time to work with. You could then use this information to do a curve fit, perhaps a polynomial, or you could assume some specific equation type and do an exact fit.

Last edited:
If the ball happens to be going fairly quickly, a TV movie could show you the separate images of the ball at successive 1/60th second intervals (or whatever frame rate you happen to be using.)
Failing that, a stroboscope with, say 1/10s flashes and a camera set to long exposure (dark room, of course) could also give you a set of sharp images on the same picture. Do the whole thing in front of a metre rule and all the info (times and distances) is there on the picture for you

Yes but the problem is I want to be able to calculate the distance it will travel just from a few measurements at the beginning.

I'm not too sure about what you said rcgldr; how would I fill in the rest of the curve?

I was thinking from the first time measurement, I would have time and distance, so I could calculate the speed at that point to be dist / time. But then how could I calculate the de-celeration? or am I going about this all wrong? :)

Hello,

Thank you for your question. To find the speed decay of a ball rolling in a straight line, you can use the formula for deceleration:

Deceleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Time

In this case, the initial velocity is the speed at which the ball is rolling, and the final velocity is 0, since the ball will eventually come to a stop. The time can be calculated by taking the average of the three time measurements that you have recorded.

Once you have the deceleration, you can use it to calculate the time it will take for the ball to stop completely using the formula:

Time to Stop = Initial Velocity / Deceleration

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Best,

1. What is speed decay and why is it important to measure?

Speed decay refers to the gradual decrease in speed of an object due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance. It is important to measure because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of an object, and understanding speed decay can help in making improvements and adjustments.

2. How is speed decay calculated?

Speed decay is typically calculated by measuring the initial speed of an object and then measuring its final speed after a certain amount of time has passed. The difference between the two speeds is the speed decay. The formula for calculating speed decay is: speed decay = (initial speed - final speed) / time

3. What factors can affect the rate of speed decay?

The rate of speed decay can be affected by various factors, including the surface the object is traveling on, the weight and shape of the object, and the forces acting upon it (such as friction and air resistance). The conditions of the environment, such as temperature and humidity, can also play a role in speed decay.

4. How can the time to stop be calculated from the speed decay?

The time to stop can be calculated by dividing the final speed by the speed decay. The formula for calculating time to stop is: time to stop = final speed / speed decay. This calculation can help determine how long it will take for an object to come to a complete stop.

5. What are some real-world applications of measuring speed decay and calculating time to stop?

Measuring speed decay and calculating time to stop can be useful in various industries, such as transportation and sports. In transportation, understanding speed decay can help in designing more efficient vehicles and predicting braking distances. In sports, analyzing speed decay can aid in improving performance and reducing injuries, such as in the case of measuring the speed decay of a football player running and stopping on a field.