Measuring Speed in Relativity - Einstein's Work Explained

In summary, Galileo's discourse describes a situation in which he is confined to a moving ship and describes how he uses his observations to refute the theories of Aristotle.
erik giles
Good morning.

I've just completed working through Einstein's work on special and general relativity. Do I understand that, in relativity, a moving object cannot measure its own speed without an external reference to compare to? IE, there is no experiment it can conduct to determine its own speed without another object to compare relative speed. Is this true? If so, I'd like to better understand it. What else should I read?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is nothing special to SR and GR. It is true also in classical mechanics. There is no such thing as an absolute velocity and all velocities must be given relative to something else.

Likes erik giles
That's what I thought.

So, in this thought experiment, let's say a man is inside a moving spaceship (or a plan or train or anything else) and cannot look outside. He has no instruments connected to the outside. He therefore has no way to measure his speed, correct?

Not only can he not measure his velocity. Nobody else can say that he is moving without specifying what he is moving relative to.

He would describe things perfectly well using his rest frame as an inertial frame as long as it is not accelerating.

Likes erik giles
Right but can he measure his speed in any way?

erik giles said:
He therefore has no way to measure his speed, correct?
Better to say that because all speeds are relative to something else, the "his speed" that you would have him measure is not a meaningful concept so there's nothing to measure. He can measure his speed relative to the interior of his spaceship (zero, unless he's bouncing off the walls), but that's it.
Right but can he measure his speed in any way?
No.

Last edited:
Likes erik giles and Orodruin
erik giles said:
What else should I read?
You could do much worse than Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics".

Likes erik giles
Speed is only defined as a relationship between two bodies. So nobody can measure anybody's speed ever. They can only measure its speed relative to something.

Typically we use speed relative to the floor in every day life.

Likes erik giles
Excellent thank you!

Actually I think i have Taylor and Wheeler here somewhere. I have a number of books that I realized I should stop reading until I get through and totally understand SR and GR. I had high school classical physics, and a lot of advanced math in the area of statistics, Operations Research, but after that I am self taught so bear with me. Looking back, I should have at least gotten a minor in physics.

let me clarify one more thing - this question is not one of the 'debated' question of physics? This is a given, in relativity, correct?

Not debated at all. Solid since Newton, basically.

As with all science that's potentially subject to revision in the future, but there aren't even any hints of debate here that I'm aware of.

Likes erik giles
You're making this too hard. First, don't tackle GR until you have SR down. Second, what is your absolute position? Not position with respect to something else (like the origin of a coordinate system), but your absolute position. If you say "that's silly, there's no such thing", why should velocity, which is distance divided by time, be any different?

Likes erik giles
Vanadium 50 said:
If you say "that's silly, there's no such thing", why should velocity, which is distance divided by time, be any different?
This is a dangerous argument as it risks being extended to ”why should acceleration, which is velocity divided by time, be any different?” But it is different.

Likes erik giles
No I don't think it's silly at all! You've confirmed what I thought, which is my goal, I only want to be sure I have it right. Thanks!

Vanadium 50 said:
You're making this too hard. First, don't tackle GR until you have SR down. Second, what is your absolute position? Not position with respect to something else (like the origin of a coordinate system), but your absolute position. If you say "that's silly, there's no such thing", why should velocity, which is distance divided by time, be any different?

Okay, got it. Your question - what is the absolute position - confirms it for me. There is none, therefore such measurement is meaningless in absence of another body, which I excluded at the beginning of the thought experiment.

I am now enlightened on this concept. Thanks and Merry Christmas all!

Orodruin said:
This is a dangerous argument as it risks being extended to ”why should acceleration, which is velocity divided by time, be any different?” But it is different.

I was thinking the same thing and I am going to tackle it next. I won't come back until I understand it well enough for good questions.

Orodruin said:
But it is different.

Yes it is, and that difference is important. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Likes erik giles
erik giles said:
What else should I read?

You can easily find on the web Galileo's famous discourse in which he describes being confined in the hold of a ship that moves in a straight line at a steady speed. Newton adopted this idea as his 1st Law, and after thorough testing, most famously in the Michelson-Morley experiment, it has graduated to the Principle of Relativity. As far as we know, Galileo got it right.

Likes Orodruin and erik giles
Mister T said:
You can easily find on the web Galileo's famous discourse in which he describes being confined in the hold of a ship that moves in a straight line at a steady speed.
Here's a direct link.

1. How did Einstein's work change our understanding of speed in relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity introduced the concept of time dilation, which states that the passage of time is relative depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the speed of an object can appear different depending on who is measuring it.

2. What is the equation for calculating speed in relativity?

The equation for calculating speed in relativity is v = c * tanh(a), where v is the speed of the object, c is the speed of light, and a is the object's acceleration. This equation takes into account time dilation and the effects of approaching the speed of light.

3. How does time dilation affect our measurements of speed?

Time dilation means that time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This effect becomes more noticeable as an object approaches the speed of light. As a result, our measurements of speed may appear different depending on the observer's frame of reference.

4. Can we measure the speed of light using Einstein's theory of relativity?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity allows us to accurately measure the speed of light. The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their frame of reference.

5. How does Einstein's work on relativity apply to everyday situations?

Einstein's theory of relativity has been applied in many areas of modern technology, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and even medical imaging devices. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as space travel and cosmic phenomena like black holes.