Measuring spin of a free electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring the spin of an electron without interacting with a magnetic field. It is determined that theoretically, the only way to measure the spin of a single electron would be through magnetic interaction. However, it is suggested that by observing the repulsion between a group of electrons with known spin states, it may be possible to narrow down the spin of an unknown electron. The concept of using accelerations to change the orientation of spin is also mentioned.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody. I have been reading about the Stern Gerlach experiment lately and a doubt has came to my mind.
Is there any way to know the spin of an electron without forcing it to interact with a magnetic field?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're sticking to the spin of a single electron, I'd say no.
Theoretically, to measure the spin of an electron would require interacting with it in a way that can in principle (however slightly) change its spin state.
As far as I know, the only interactions capable of changing the spin-state of an electron are magnetic.

However, if you're going to measure the spin of a whole bunch of electrons, you could at least narrow it down by showing that they are fermions (i.e., half-integer spin particles obeying the Pauli exclusion principle).
For example, since a pair of electrons cannot occupy the same state, you could try to bring other electrons with known spin states close, and see how the repulsion between them changes depending on the spin state of the known electron. Ideally, the electron in a spin state most closely resembling the spin state of the unknown electron would have a maximum repulsion.

There may also be quirks of statistics that will distinguish a bunch of spin-1/2 particles from a bunch of spin-3/2 particles, but I don't know enough to say just what that would be.

Likes Frank Einstein
Thank you very much for your anwser. That's pretty much what I thought that would happen.

1. What is the spin of a free electron?

The spin of a free electron is a fundamental property that describes its angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property and is always either "up" or "down" with respect to a given axis.

2. How is the spin of a free electron measured?

The spin of a free electron can be measured using various techniques, such as Stern-Gerlach experiment, electron spin resonance, and spin-polarized scanning tunneling microscopy. These methods involve manipulating the electron's spin and observing the resulting changes in its behavior.

3. Why is measuring the spin of a free electron important?

Measuring the spin of a free electron is important because it provides valuable information about the electron's properties and behavior, which can help us understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics, spintronics, and quantum computing.

4. Can the spin of a free electron be changed?

Yes, the spin of a free electron can be changed through various processes, such as collisions, interactions with magnetic fields, and quantum tunneling. This property of the electron's spin is crucial for many technological applications, including data storage and quantum information processing.

5. How does the spin of a free electron relate to its magnetic moment?

The spin of a free electron is directly related to its magnetic moment, which is a measure of its ability to interact with a magnetic field. The value of the electron's magnetic moment is determined by its spin and is an important factor in many physical phenomena, including magnetism and nuclear magnetic resonance.