How can the density of air be measured using simple equipment?

In summary, to measure the density of air at normal atmospheric pressure, you can use a scale with an accuracy of 0.01g, two empty glass bottles, a big bowl of water, and a cork with a valve and a vacuum pump. The equations that may be relevant are density (ρ=m/V), the ideal gas equation (pV=nRT =NkT), and buoyant force (F=ρgV). One possible solution is to measure the weight of water that fits into the bottles to determine their volume, then measure the weight of an empty bottle with and without air to calculate the mass of the air inside. This may give a rough estimate of the density of air.
Alettix

Homework Statement

Measure the density if air at normal atmospheric pressure. You can use the following equipment:

One scale with an accuracy of 0.01g
Two empty glas bottles (≈0,33 liter each)
One big bowl with water
One cork with a valve and a vacuumpump

Homework Equations

Not knowing how to solve this problem I am not sure which equations should be used, but the following could be relevant:
Density: ρ=m/V (1)
Ideal Gas equation: pV=nRT =NkT (2)
Buoyant Force: F=ρgV (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that the exact volume of the bottles can be measured by measuring the weight of the water which fit into them and then by knowing the density of water the volume is obtained. Then, we can meausre the weight of an empty bottel with air in it and without. From this, the mass of the air inside the bottles is obtained and the density of the air is achieved. However, I feel like this is a bit to simple. I don't have the equipment to try this at home. Do you think think this solutions works? Or do you have other ideas?

Thank you for your help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it is too simple?

Likes Alettix
Orodruin said:
Why do you think it is too simple?
I thought the mass of the air was too small to be measured, but now I realized that m = 1,293*0,00033 ≈0,43 g.
So maybe this is the solution?

Yes, it should be enough to at least give you a quite rough estimate.

Orodruin said:
Yes, it should be enough to at least give you a quite rough estimate.

Well, in that case the problem is solved. Thank you very much! :)

1. What is the density of air?

The density of air is approximately 1.2 kg/m3 at sea level and 15°C. However, this value may vary slightly depending on temperature, pressure, and humidity.

2. How is the density of air measured?

The density of air is measured using a device called a hydrometer. This instrument uses the principles of buoyancy to determine the density of a gas or liquid.

3. What factors affect the density of air?

The density of air is affected by temperature, pressure, and humidity. As temperature and humidity increase, the density of air decreases. As pressure increases, the density of air also increases.

4. Why is it important to measure the density of air?

Measuring the density of air is important for understanding how it behaves in different environments. It is also essential for many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing airplanes and calculating air resistance.

5. How does the density of air change with altitude?

The density of air decreases as altitude increases because the air molecules are more spread out at higher altitudes. This is why it is more difficult to breathe at high altitudes, such as on top of a mountain.