Measuring the doppler-effect

• Thread starter fermion314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment to measure the doppler-effect using a pendulum and microphone. The calculations and results did not match the expected values, and potential sources of error were discussed, including the assumptions made in the doppler equations and the accuracy of measurements. Suggestions were given to improve the experiment, such as using a more precise pendulum or varying the speed of the pendulum.
fermion314

Homework Statement

Hello,

I did an experiment a couple of weeks ago to measure the doppler-effect. I have used a pendulum with a microphone attached to it. At one end i put a speaker which produces a sound with f =440 hz. T of the pendulum = 1,86 s. Vmax = 1,69 m/s. But if i try to measure T in my diagram it doesn't come near the solution i get with the doppler-equations.

I have done this in my diagram:

1800 - 1100 = 700 ms

7T = 700 ms => T = 100 ms = 0,1 s

I get f ≈ 10 hz (see doppler-effect2)

Homework Equations

I used fw=fb(1 + (vw/v)) and fw=fb(1-(vw/v)) and i got fw = 442 hz when the microphone is moving towards the speaker and fw = 437 hz when it moves away from it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to change the time-axes with a other timescale. But i don't think that's the solution. I know v is not constant. I don't see a way to link my experiment with the theory.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Attachments

• doppler-effect2.jpg
    doppler-effect2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your experiment and calculations. It seems like you are on the right track, but there may be some factors that are affecting your results. First, it is important to make sure that your measurements are accurate. Double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. Also, consider the accuracy of your equipment and any potential sources of error.

Next, it is important to consider the assumptions made in the doppler equations. One key assumption is that the source and observer are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. In your experiment, the pendulum is swinging back and forth, so this may not be the case. Also, the speed of sound can vary depending on factors such as temperature and humidity, so this may also affect your results.

To improve your experiment, you could try using a more precise and stable pendulum, or use a different method to measure the frequency of the sound. You could also try varying the speed of the pendulum and see how it affects the results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the doppler-effect?

The doppler-effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of sound or light and an observer. It results in a change in the frequency or wavelength of the sound or light waves perceived by the observer.

2. How is the doppler-effect measured?

The doppler-effect can be measured by comparing the frequency or wavelength of the sound or light waves emitted by the source to the frequency or wavelength perceived by the observer. This can be done using specialized instruments such as a doppler radar or ultrasound machine.

3. What are some applications of the doppler-effect?

The doppler-effect has a wide range of applications in various fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and medical imaging. It is used to measure the speed and direction of moving objects, track weather patterns, and create images of internal body structures in medical procedures.

4. How does the doppler-effect affect the perception of sound and light?

The doppler-effect can cause a shift in the perceived pitch of sound and the perceived color of light. When a source of sound or light is moving towards an observer, the frequency or wavelength appears higher, resulting in a higher pitch or blue-shifted light. Conversely, when the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency or wavelength appears lower, resulting in a lower pitch or red-shifted light.

5. Can the doppler-effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the doppler-effect can be observed in everyday life. For example, the sound of a police siren or a passing car changes in pitch as it approaches and then moves away from an observer. Similarly, the color of a moving object can appear to change due to the doppler-effect, such as the red and blue flashing lights on a police car.