Measuring Moment of Inertia of RC Helicopter

In summary, The conversation discusses the measurement of the moment of inertia of a remote controlled helicopter about its 3 principle axes at the centre of gravity. The speaker has found difficulty in this aspect and is seeking advice. They have equations that relate the moments and angular velocities to angular accelerations and have thought of using a table to rotate the helicopter for measurements. However, there is uncertainty about how to determine the torque applied to the helicopter. The conversation also mentions the use of gyros and accelerometers for measurements. Another person provides a link to a paper that explains how to measure the moment of inertia and center of gravity of objects.
williamshipman
Hi guys.

I am trying to measure the moment of inertia of a remote controlled helicopter about its 3 principle axes at the centre of gravity. In all of the literature I have read relating to this project, everyone just glosses over this part. What I need to figure out is an experimental setup and method.

I have the following 3 equations that relate the moment about each axis and the 3 angular velocities to the angular accelerations. All of these equations are with respect a fixed axis system centred at the centre of gravity.
p_dot=M_x/I_xx -rq/I_xx (I_zz-I_yy )
q_dot=M_y/I_yy -rp/I_yy (I_xx-I_zz )
r_dot=M_z/I_zz -pq/I_zz (I_yy-I_xx )

p_dot, q_dot and r_dot are the angular accelerations. The angular velocities are p (roll), q (pitch) and r (yaw). The moments about each axis are M_x, M_y and M_z and the moments of inertia are I_xx, I_yy and I_zz.

So far, I have thought of putting the helicopter on a table and rotating it about one axis, then repeating the procedure for the other 2 axes. This has the small problem that, if the table rotates at a constant rate, the dot terms are zero. If the table is accelerating, then this could work but how would I know what the torque applied to the helicopter is?

I forgot to mention, the helicopter will be fitted with gyros to measure the orientation and accelerometers for the linear and angular accelerations. Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

It's not the easiest way to do things, but it is definitely doable. I guess it all boils down to how accurate you want to get. You can measure the principal axes via the method in the attached article. The off diagonal elements you can then calculate.

Go to this thread for the article:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222753

Thanks very much for the info Fred, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Its now a few months later and I thought I'd post this. FredGarvin gave a paper from Space Electronics in the other thread he links to. Space Electronics has published a number of other papers on their website that explain how to measure various properties, like the moment of inertia and center of gravity. Anyone who is struggling with such work should look at their website http://www.space-electronics.com" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is moment of inertia measured for an RC helicopter?

The moment of inertia for an RC helicopter can be measured by using a tool called a rotary motion sensor. This sensor measures the angular velocity of the helicopter's rotors and uses this data to calculate its moment of inertia. The process involves recording the angular velocity at different points in the helicopter's flight and then using this data to determine the moment of inertia.

2. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an RC helicopter?

The moment of inertia of an RC helicopter can be affected by several factors, including the mass distribution of the helicopter's components, the shape and size of the rotors, and the position of the center of mass. These factors can all impact how the helicopter rotates and thus affect its moment of inertia.

3. Why is measuring the moment of inertia important for an RC helicopter?

Measuring the moment of inertia of an RC helicopter is important because it helps determine how the helicopter will behave in flight. It can give insight into its stability, maneuverability, and overall performance. Knowing the moment of inertia can also aid in designing and building more efficient and effective RC helicopters.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the flight of an RC helicopter?

The moment of inertia plays a significant role in the flight of an RC helicopter. A higher moment of inertia means that the helicopter will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion, making it more stable in flight. On the other hand, a lower moment of inertia can make the helicopter more maneuverable and responsive to control inputs.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed for an RC helicopter?

Yes, the moment of inertia for an RC helicopter can be changed by altering its mass distribution, changing the size or shape of its rotors, or adjusting the position of its center of mass. These changes can impact the helicopter's flight characteristics and may be necessary for achieving specific performance goals.