1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the speed of sound in air

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement

Hi all,
    My AS physics coursework is comming up and i'm starting to plan. I will be measurng the speed of sound in air........lots and lots of times as I will then have to speculate as to how accurate my readings are.

How would you do it if it was you?

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea so far will be to place 2 microphones 3.33 meters apart(I wonder why...!), one behind the other but not obscured by it, then connect them to a computer. I will then have a sound source that is a set distance away ( sound source will probably be balloons to burst or banging two pieces of wood together!), The microphones will start recording on a sound trigger basis and so the source should be loud enough to activate this. Hopefully the time between when the two microphones start recording will give me t and d will be 3.33 m, so I should then be able to use speed = (d/t)[/I] any thoughts and comments will be most welcome!!

Note: I don't want anything to be too accurate (which I doubt anyway :D) as then I wont have anything to talk about in my write-up!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted