1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the thermal diffusivity.

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evening everybody. I am attempting to devise an experiment in order to measure the thermal diffusivity of ice and water.

Imagine 3 brass plates, with water held between them, in approximately a 1mm gap (dx) by surface tension.
    The 3 plates have thermocouples between them in order to tell the difference in temperature between them. The part I am miffed about is how to obtain the diffusivity from this measurement.

I have been given this equation to link them, but I am struggling to find where it came from and the significance if the d2T/dx2

d2T/dx2=T1-2T2/dx2+T3

2. Relevant equations

dQ/dT=-D dH/dx

3. The attempt at a solution

This is not really appropriate, as the above is an experiment plan which I have devised, I just need the final link! I apologise for not using the exact format, but any ideas or leads for me to follow up would be greatly appreciated, I've come to a dead end.

Thankyou in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?