Measuring Torque: Ideas & Solutions for Lab Projects

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to measure torque on a closed loop in a magnetic field for a physics lab project. One suggestion is to use a spring with a known spring constant and measure the elongation to calculate the torque. The conversation also addresses concerns about using this method for larger rotation angles and potential errors due to the torque not being constant during rotation. The speaker clarifies that the spring should be connected directly to the loop and that the spring's potential energy is the main contributor to the loop's rotational energy.
MMS
Hello everyone.
I'm working on a physics lab project and I've reached a barrier.
I need to measure the torque on a closed loop in a magetic field and I can't reach a way to do so. Of course, excluding all the torque measuring devices and such which I believe we don't have at the lab.

Any ideas on how to measure it?Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use a spring with a known spring constant(which should be chosen in accordance with the range of torque being applied to the loop, you should have at least a very rough estimate of the amount of torque). Then you attach the loop to one end of the spring and fix the other end. Then you measure the elongation of the spring. Now you calculate [itex] \frac 1 2 k \delta x^2 [/itex] which should be approximately equal to [itex] \int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} \tau d\theta [/itex]. If the rotation angle is small, I think you can take the torque to be constant and that gives you the amount of torque.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I can estimate what the torque should be by calculations so I believe that shouldn't be a problem. Just a question: how can I deal with the integral on the torque that you've given with large angles? Why can't I treat tge torque as a constant in both cases (small and large)?

Take the interval [itex] (a,b) [/itex] where [itex] b=a+H [/itex]. Now I want to calculate the integral [itex] \int_a^b f(x) dx [/itex](f being any function). Now I substitute [itex] x=a+\frac H 2 +h \Rightarrow dx=dh [/itex].
[itex]
\int_{-\frac H 2}^{\frac H 2} f(a+\frac H 2+h) dh=\int_{-\frac H 2}^{\frac H 2} [\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{ f^{(n)}(a+\frac H 2)}{n!} h^n] dh=\int_{-\frac H 2}^{\frac H 2} [f(a+\frac H 2)+O(h)] dh=f(a+\frac H 2)H+O(H^3) \\ \Rightarrow f(a+\frac H 2)=\frac{1}{H} \int_a^b f(x)dx+O(H^2)
[/itex]
So by taking [itex] \frac{1}{\theta_f-\theta_i}\int_{\theta_i}^{\theta_f} \tau d\theta[/itex], to be the torque at [itex] \theta=\frac{\theta_f+\theta_i}{2}[/itex], you have an error of the order [itex](\theta_f-\theta_i)^2[/itex].
All of this is because the torque may not be constant during the rotation and how it changes is unknown to us. You may think its actually constant from some calculations but that only makes the approximation better because in reality, things aren't as clean as on the paper!

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll make sure to go over it as when I get home (I'm on my phone).
Just a couple more questions if I may.
1. Did you mean to connect the spring directly to the loop or by a string or something?
2. Aren't there other things that contribute to the work in the system (except for the spring)?

MMS said:
1. Did you mean to connect the spring directly to the loop or by a string or something?
Connect them directly! Otherwise those things in between, will get some energy and that worsens the approximation.

MMS said:
2. Aren't there other things that contribute to the work in the system (except for the spring)?
I think the spring's potential energy is, to a good approximation, the only thing that gets the loop's rotational energy.

1. What is torque and why is it important to measure?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is important to measure torque because it can help determine the amount of power being applied to a system, the amount of force needed to rotate an object, and the efficiency of a machine.

2. What are some common methods for measuring torque in a lab setting?

Some common methods for measuring torque in a lab include using a torque wrench, a dynamometer, or a strain gauge. These tools can provide precise measurements of torque in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions.

3. How can I choose the right instrument for measuring torque in my lab project?

Choosing the right instrument for measuring torque depends on the specific needs and requirements of your lab project. Consider factors such as the range of torque you need to measure, the accuracy and precision required, and the type of data output you need.

4. Can torque be measured in different units?

Yes, torque can be measured in different units depending on the system of measurement being used. In the SI system, torque is measured in Newton-meters (N·m), while in the British system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft·lb) or inch-pounds (in·lb).

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when measuring torque in a lab?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when measuring torque in a lab setting. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the instrument being used, wear appropriate protective gear, and be aware of any potential hazards such as rotating parts or high-pressure systems.