What units are used when measuring Log(I) in Amperes?

• Thread starter cristian1500
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the conversation discusses the measuring unit for Log(I) where I is the intensity of current measured in Amps. The expert explains that it is usually measured in dB, where the current is ratioed against a reference current or power. They provide examples for different units such as dBuA, dbmA, and dBm. However, the person asking the question does not want to use dB and raises concerns about the physical dimensions of Log(I). The expert explains that using the same units for both I and Log(I) may not be correct and that Log(I) should have the units of Log(Amps). This highlights the intersection of math and physics in determining units for mathematical functions.
cristian1500
Hello

I have a current through a simple circuit.
What is the measuring unit of Log(I) where I is the intensity of the current measured in Ampers.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it would usually be in some form of dB, where you are ratioing the measured I compared to some reference current (like 1uA or 1mA), or compared to some reference power if you know the impedance that the current is flowing through (like 1mW). Here are some typical examples:

I in dBuA = 20 * log( I / 1uA)

I in dbmA = 20 * log( I / 1mA )

Power from I through 50 Ohms in dBm = 10 * log( I^2 * 50 / 1mW )

If instead you are just plotting I on one axis of a graph and using a logarithmic axis, then you still label the units for that axis as Amps (or mA or whatever is appropriate), and the numbers you put on the decades of that axis just run like 1, 10, 100, etc.

Does any of that answer your question?

Not quite.

The dB is out. I don't want to use the representation in dB. And as far as the dB is concerned I think it has no physical dimension:
Log(Amps/Amps)=no phys units...now look at the problem below.I don't think that using the same units for I as for log(I) is correct. I want to represent for example Log(I)=f(U).

for example,
Because if I use the square function I would have the units Amps^2...The Log(I) should have the units of Log(Amps)?!...

This is the place where maths meets physics:smile: What does a mathematical function to a physical unit?

1. What is "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes"?

"Measuring Log(I) in Amperes" is a method used to measure the current (I) in a circuit by taking the logarithm of the current value. This is typically used for very small or very large currents where traditional measuring methods may not be accurate.

2. How is "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes" different from traditional current measurement methods?

Unlike traditional methods which directly measure the current, "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes" uses the logarithm of the current value. This allows for more accurate measurements of very small or very large currents that may not be measurable with traditional methods.

3. What is the advantage of using "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes"?

The advantage of using "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes" is that it can accurately measure extremely small or large currents that traditional methods may not be able to measure. It also eliminates the need for special equipment or calculations to measure these currents.

4. How is the logarithm of the current value calculated in "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes"?

The logarithm of the current value is calculated using the natural log function (ln) or the base-10 log function (log10). The specific function used will depend on the measuring device being used and the units of the current being measured.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using "Measuring Log(I) in Amperes". This method may not be suitable for measuring AC currents and may not be as accurate for measuring currents with a nonlinear relationship between voltage and current. It also requires knowledge of logarithmic functions and may not be suitable for those without a strong understanding of mathematics.