1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Unsigned Simple Functions

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me solve this problem regarding simple functions and their measure. This problem is coming straight from *Introduction to Measure Theory* by Terrence Tao. A link to the free version is attached at the end of this post.

Show that an unsigned function ##f: \mathbb{R}^d \to [0, +\infty]## is a simple function if and only if it is measurable and takes on at most finitely many values.

2. Relevant equations

The definitions that I am working with are as follows:

An *unsigned simple function* ##f: \mathbb{R}^d \to [0, +\infty]## is a finite linear combination ##f= c_11_{E_1}+ \ldots + c_k1_{E_k}## of indicator functions ##1_{E_i}## of Lebesgue measurable sets ##E_i \subset \mathbb{R}^d## for ##i=1, \ldots , k,## where ##k \geq 0##.

An unsigned simple function ##f:\mathbb{R}^d \to [0, +\infty]## is *unsigned Lebesgue measurable*, or *measurable* for short, if it is the point-wise limit of unsigned simple functions, i.e., if there exists a sequence ##f_1,f_2,f_3, \ldots : \mathbb{R}^d \to [0, +\infty]## of unsigned simple functions such that ##f_n(x) \to f(x)## for every ##x \in \mathbb{R}^d##.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at the solution is this:

If ##f:\mathbb{R}^d \to [0, +\infty]## is simple, then ##f## is a linear combination ##f=c_11_{E_1}+ \ldots + c_n1_{E_n}## of indicator functions ##1_{E_i}## of Lebesgue measurable sets ##E_i \subset \mathbb{R}^d## for ##i =1, \ldots, n##, where ##n \in \mathbb{N}## and ##c_1, \ldots, c_n \in [0, +\infty]##. We wish to show that this implies that ##f## is measurable and takes on at most finitely many values. To say that it is measurable would mean that ##\exists f_1, f_2, \ldots## each unsigned simple such that ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^d, f(x) = \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##. If we cut up ##[0, +\infty]## into finitely many boxes ##B##, each small enough that ##\forall x, y \in B, |f(x)-f(y)| < \frac{1}{n}##, or ##f(x), f(y) \in [0, +\infty].## ##f_n(x) = \inf(f(B))## if ##x \in## box ##B##. ##f_n(x)=0## for ##x \notin [0, +\infty]##.

Then ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^d##,
    ##f_n(x) \to f(x)## and ##f_n = \displaystyle \sum_{\text{boxes B}}\inf(f(B))1_B## is simple.

To prove the backwards direction, if ##f## is measurable, then ##\exists f_1,f_2 \ldots## each unsigned simple such that ##\forall x\in \mathbb{R}^d, f(x)=\displaystyle \lim_{n=\infty}f_n(x)##. Since ##f## is composed of simple functions converging point-wise, the result follows by definition.

Note: In this proof, I am imitating an approach we used in class to show that if a function is continuous, then it is measurable. I am not sure if it still applies in this case, which is why I would really appreciate some feedback in order to help me solve this problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

Link to the textbook:
    http://terrytao.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/measure-book1.pdf

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?