Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring waterwheel efficiency

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    How did British engineer John Smeaton measure the efficiency of an overshot waterwheel?

I am doing an experiment with overshot waterwheels to find their efficiency, and found that John Smeaton measured their efficiency at about 65%. However I have no idea how he got this number, and I cannot think of an accurate way of calculating its efficiency.

My latest idea is to use a dynamometer to find the difference in forces, then multiply by the distance travelled (2prn (where n is number of revolutions in t seconds, and r is the radius of the axle)) Then divide it all by t; to get Power. This would be compared with a theoretical power output calculated from gravitational and kinetic energy going in.

Is this the correct way to go about this? Or not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's a good question. I couldn't find anything in my research into it. However, I did find a link to a professor at Univ. of Minnesota. She has specifically called out Smeaton and his waterwheel work and she is researching exactly what you are asking about. A link to her page is here:

http://www.me.umn.edu/research/faculty/alexander.shtml

Perhaps you could contact her and ask her directly. She has an e-mail link on her page.

From an engineering standpoint, it seems that you are following the basic premise of power out/power in to get your efficiency. I think the hard part would be determining the actual power entering the wheel accurately, especially if you are using a natural source like a river.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  4. Jan 29, 2005 #3
    Thanks alot.

Initially i am using a model and the water is flowing down a 'slide' coming from the tap. As the model is not very good the water sprays all over the place, so energy entering and leaving the system is hard to find

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?