Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurments of Pi

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know the measurments of a perfect circle? I've been trying to calculate Pi on my own, but I can't find a reliable set of measurments to use. Everything I've found so far has been close, but starts to deviate from the real Pi around the tenth decimal place.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is this calculation you are doing ? You know that there is no such thing as a perfect measurement, right ? A perfect circle is a mathematical object. Neither will you find one in the physical world, nor be able to measure anything about it to arbitrary accuracy.
  4. Mar 13, 2006 #3
    As Gokul points out, you won't get a particularly good value for pi by physical measurement. You need to compute it via mathematics

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    Hmmm...I had been using simple division, so I was looking for a diameter and circumfrence. I had thought a perfect circle could exist in theory, and the measurements known, but apparently not.
    Thanks for the link though, it's a great site!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?