1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meccano Difference Engine

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anybody ever thought about building one?

http://www.meccano.us/difference_engines/rde_1/

Truly beautiful. Mine's gonna be a little bit simpler...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That represents and emulates a famous historical attempt at calculation. Even Sexier!

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    ooh. That makes an abacus obsolete :rofl:. Id rather use that than a four-function calculator, or perhaps even a slide rule, the temptation is too great.

And im sure that will certainly beat a graphing calculator anyday.

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That is a really beautiful bit of construction. If you're interested in that sort of thing in general, I found an outstanding example in a Scientific American article last year. I can't remember what issue, but I found a web site for them (they still make the things, and have since 1947). It's called a CURTA calculator. The thing's about the size of a pop can and has hundreds of parts. It also uses some weird thing about adding reciprocals or something like that in order to subtract. (I really only have about a grade 9 math level, so I don't understand it too well.)
    I don't know how to make links or put up pictures, but I copied down the address: www.vcalc.net/cu.htm :approve:

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, what the...?! How'd that turn into a link? I just typed the address. :confused:

8. Mar 31, 2005 #7
    I approve! I am actually currently connected via Babbage Engine. ;-p

9. Mar 31, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Really...? Cool... I tried using my Liebnitz, but the ADSL line was incompatible with the grommet on the back.

10. Apr 1, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's nothing, I have to fill up with coal every time I want to log on...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?