Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meccano Difference Engine

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anybody ever thought about building one?

http://www.meccano.us/difference_engines/rde_1/

Truly beautiful. Mine's gonna be a little bit simpler...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That represents and emulates a famous historical attempt at calculation. Even Sexier!

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    ooh. That makes an abacus obsolete :rofl:. Id rather use that than a four-function calculator, or perhaps even a slide rule, the temptation is too great.

And im sure that will certainly beat a graphing calculator anyday.

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That is a really beautiful bit of construction. If you're interested in that sort of thing in general, I found an outstanding example in a Scientific American article last year. I can't remember what issue, but I found a web site for them (they still make the things, and have since 1947). It's called a CURTA calculator. The thing's about the size of a pop can and has hundreds of parts. It also uses some weird thing about adding reciprocals or something like that in order to subtract. (I really only have about a grade 9 math level, so I don't understand it too well.)
    I don't know how to make links or put up pictures, but I copied down the address: www.vcalc.net/cu.htm :approve:

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, what the...?! How'd that turn into a link? I just typed the address. :confused:

8. Mar 31, 2005 #7
    I approve! I am actually currently connected via Babbage Engine. ;-p

9. Mar 31, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Really...? Cool... I tried using my Liebnitz, but the ADSL line was incompatible with the grommet on the back.

10. Apr 1, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's nothing, I have to fill up with coal every time I want to log on...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?