Mechanical Engineering & Writing Code: Benefits & Recommended Languages

In summary, Writing code as a mechanical engineer can make you more marketable as it is a niche skill. The correlation between writing code and mechanical engineering in the workplace depends on the type of role one has. It is recommended to learn any C archetype language as it is easy to pick up other languages once you have mastered one. Programming is more about the problem-solving process than the language itself.
DocSpringston
Good morning everyone. I would love some insight regarding mechanical engineering and writing code. My physics professor (who also has a masters in electrical engineering) mentioned last night that the ability to write code (I apologize if I am using the term incorrectly...still kinda new to this) makes one much more marketable because, as he put it, not many can actually do it and do it well.

Two questions:
1) what is the correlation between writing code and mechanical engineering in the workplace?
2) is there a particular language recommended?

Thank you all very much for your thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what type of role you get. Some mechanical engineers never have to write code whereas others do.

I think the point your professor was trying to make is that being able to write good code as an engineer is a bit of a niche market.

For a language you should learn, I'd suggest any of the C architype languages (C,C++,Java, C#, etc). Once you learn one language its really easy to pick up any other language. Programming is more about the thought process of how to solve the task as opposed to the specific implemention of the solution in whatever language you are coding in at that moment

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, development, and operation of mechanical systems. This can include anything from machines and engines to robotics and thermal systems.

2. How does writing code benefit mechanical engineers?

Writing code allows mechanical engineers to automate tasks, analyze data, and simulate designs before physically building them. It also allows for more precise calculations and faster design iterations.

3. What are some recommended programming languages for mechanical engineers?

Some recommended programming languages for mechanical engineers include MATLAB, Python, and C++. MATLAB is commonly used for data analysis and simulation, while Python and C++ are versatile languages that can be used for a wide range of applications.

4. Can mechanical engineers learn to code without a computer science background?

Yes, mechanical engineers can learn to code without a computer science background. Many universities offer programming courses specifically for engineering students, and there are also online resources and tutorials available.

5. How can learning to code benefit a career in mechanical engineering?

Learning to code can open up new job opportunities for mechanical engineers, as many engineering roles now require knowledge of programming. It can also improve efficiency and productivity in the workplace, and allow for more innovative and complex designs.