1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mech energy and perplexing waterslide

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    hello, glad this site exisits.

i got a test coming up on work, power, k and p energy, so forth . . .

i got two test problems here that i can't figure out for the life of me.

a) While running a person dissapates .6 j of mechanical energy per kg of body mass. if a 60 kg runner dissapates a power of 70 W during a race, how fast is the person running? Assume a running step is 1.5 m long.

b) A child slides without friction from a height of h along a cuved waterslide. She is launched from a height of h/5 into the pool.
    it looks as though the angle is 45 degrees in the slide and i need to find the distance or the x value when she lands in the pool.

if anyone can help me out here or if you need further info, drop a line. thanks a lot in advance . . .

peace . . .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    Does a) say 'per kg of body mass per step', by any chance?

4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    yeah, sorry. it does say that, so add that to the problem. heh.

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    So if a person dissipates 0.6 J per kg per step, how much total energy does a person weighing 60 kg dissipate per step? Then, how much total energy does the runner disipate per meter? How does this compare to 70 W? 70 W means 70 J are being dissipated each second - so, if a person dissipated 140 J per meter, that would mean it took a person two seconds to run a meter. You can get the speed from this.

In part b) - does the slide level off at the botom or does it end at an angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?