Mech. Engineer Salary Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for earning a salary of $80,000 or above in the field of mechanical engineering. It is mentioned that one does not necessarily need a MS or PhD degree, as it is possible to reach this salary through working overtime or by obtaining yearly salary increases. It is also mentioned that working for a company that pays well can also lead to a higher salary. The question of whether work experience is necessary for reaching this salary is also brought up.
Ezra
Hello Everyone,

I am beginning the coursework enroute to a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I would like to know if anyone can help me with a question about the profession.

To get to the $80,000 salary and above mark, does one need to earn atleast a MS or PhD?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need a MS or PhD to earn 80k plus a degree.

You can do that by working tons of overtime. I'm doing that this year by working 7 days a week at a company that pays overtime.

You can earn 80k a year after a number through yearly salary increases.

Or you can get lucky and work for an employer that pays a lot.

bigtrees said:
You can do that by working tons of overtime. I'm doing that this year by working 7 days a week at a company that pays overtime.

7 days working is not easy :) . Do you also have work experience of many years ?

1. What is the typical salary range for a mechanical engineer?

The salary range for a mechanical engineer varies depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $88,430 in May 2020.

2. How much do mechanical engineers make in their first year?

The starting salary for a mechanical engineer can range from $55,000 to $75,000 per year. This can also vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the size and type of company they work for.

3. Do mechanical engineers earn higher salaries with advanced degrees?

In general, earning an advanced degree in mechanical engineering can lead to higher salaries and more opportunities for career advancement. However, experience and location also play a significant role in determining a mechanical engineer's salary.

4. Are there any industries that offer higher salaries for mechanical engineers?

Some industries that typically offer higher salaries for mechanical engineers include aerospace, automotive, and oil and gas. However, salaries can also vary within these industries based on location and experience.

5. How does the salary of a mechanical engineer compare to other engineering fields?

The salary of a mechanical engineer is typically on par with other engineering fields, such as electrical or civil engineering. However, salaries can vary depending on the industry and location they work in.