1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mech Engineering Question

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

was wondering if anybody here does mech engineering and if so can they point me in the right direction of this question please.

Figure 1 below shows a drum of mass of 50kg and radius 350mm. The drum can be assumed to be a uniform solid cylinder. A rope of negligible mass is wrapped around the drum and is attached to a load of 15kg which is held 2.4m above the ground initially. Determine:
    • the linear acceleration of the 15kg load when the brake preventing the drum from rotating is released and
    • the velocity with which the 15kg load will impact the ground with.

(Assume the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2.)

drum-1.png

2. Relevant equations

q = qo + wo t + (1/2)a t2
    w2 = wo
    2 + 2 a q

to start, i am not looking the answer and i just want someone to please show me how to get the linear acceleration

thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi brooker2009uk! welcome to pf! :smile:

(btw, this is a fairly standard dynamics problem also, so you'll get answered sooner if you post future questions like this in the physics homework forum :wink:)

you'll need F = ma for the load, and τ = Iα for the drum …

(and also the rolling constraint, a = rα)

call the tension "T" …

what do you get? :smile:

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    thank you, that is getting the torque but i need an equation to get the linear acceleration of the load when the brake is released

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, that's F = ma !

get on with it! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook