How to Solve Moment and Friction Problems in Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving finding the moment of weight and the moment of force on a trolley in order to determine if it remains at rest. The first part of the problem is confirmed to be correct, but the second part involving calculating the moment and coefficient of friction is causing confusion. The expert advises to consider all forces acting on the object, including the normal force at point B, and to draw a diagram to better understand the problem. The expert also suggests considering moments about point A to find the solution.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7580/mechhelpui7.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

(i) Moment of F = 70 x 800 = 56000
Moment of weight = 500 x 270 = 135000

Therefore the trolley remains at rest. Is this right?

(ii) Can you help me with this question please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
# Hi
# for (i) Yes you are right. The thing will not start to rotate until the moment due to force exceeds the moment of weight.
# (ii) For calculating the moment one looks at the perpendicular distance between the force vector and the pivot point and they are the same for figure I and II. but the pivot points are different. A in I and B in II. Hope this helps.

Hi, thank you for confirming (i) is correct.

Im still a little confused about (ii). It gives me a coefficient of friction value of 0.5 for the wheel. I know:

F = Coefficient of friction X Resultant
F = 0.5 x 500
F = 250N = Friction force acting in the opposite direction of the force pushing the trolley

Is this corrent so far? I don't really know where to go from here, could anyone help me out?

Spadez said:
2. The attempt at a solution

(i) Moment of F = 70 x 800 = 56000
Moment of weight = 500 x 270 = 135000

Therefore the trolley remains at rest. Is this right?
What about the forces at B?

Am i not accounting for the weight at B by finding the moment of the weight force? If I am doing something wrong can you please set me straight, its the first question on this past exam paper and its driving me nuts.

Spadez said:
Am i not accounting for the weight at B by finding the moment of the weight force?
No. There is a reaction force of the ground on the object at point B. Figure out that normal force. Then you can compare the applied force F to the static friction force.

Since the weight is central, does that mean the weight on point A and point B will be equal? If this is the case, that means there is a reaction force of 250N at point B.

Is that correct?

No. You can't just forget about the applied force F. Consider moments of all forces to find the normal force.

Force F as in the friction force on the wheel or the force pushing the trolley?

I really appreciate your help Doc Al, but I am having a hard time understanding the process i have to go through to get the rigth answer. Can you possibly go into a little more detail so i am able to understand?

Spadez said:
Force F as in the friction force on the wheel or the force pushing the trolley?
Force F as in the applied force on the object. (Look at the diagram!)

The wheels are frictionless; friction will only act at point B.

Draw yourself a diagram showing all forces acting on the object. Don't neglect the forces acting at point B.

Hint: Consider moments about point A.

1. What is a moment in mechanics?

A moment in mechanics refers to the turning effect of a force around a pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. How is a moment different from a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate, while a moment is the rotational effect of a force. A force can cause linear motion, while a moment can cause rotational motion.

3. What is friction in mechanics?

Friction in mechanics is a force that resists the motion or attempted motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and can be influenced by factors such as the type of surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of lubricants.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. In some cases, friction can provide the necessary traction for an object to move, such as the wheels of a car on the road. In other cases, friction can slow down or stop motion, such as the brakes on a car or the resistance of air against a moving object.

5. How can we reduce friction in mechanics?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Smooth surfaces also have less friction than rough surfaces, so polishing or smoothing surfaces can also reduce friction. Additionally, using rolling motion instead of sliding motion can also reduce friction.