Mechanical energy of sliding beads

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems involving a bead sliding on a wire and around a loop-the-loop. The first problem asked for the change in mechanical energy due to friction as the bead moved from point B to C. The correct answer was 26J, with the reminder to consider that the change in mechanical energy is negative. The second problem asked for the speed of the bead at point A, and the mistake was made due to rounding errors. The correct answer was 10.3 m/s.
lzh

Homework Statement

A 0.5 kg bead slides on a curved wire, starting
from rest at point A as shown in the figure.
The segment from A to B is frictionless, and
the segment from B to C is rough. The point
A is at height 6.9 m and the point C is at
height 1.6 m with respect to point B.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 :
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2720/motion8pj.gif
the image for this problem is fig.2
If the bead comes to rest at C, find the change
in mechanical energy due to friction as it
moves from B to C. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

mgh=energy of grav.
Force*displacement=diss. energy

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I set mgh at point A to mgh at C + diss energy:
(.5)(9.8)(6.9)=.5(9.8)+diss.
diss=26J
the answer above is not right, am i misunderstanding the question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, isn't the height at C 1.6m above B??

Remember, though that the change of mechanical energy is NEGATIVE.

Last edited:
oh, thanks alot!

since i have fig.1 as well, I might as well post another one of my problem:
1. Homework Statement
A bead slides without friction around a loop-
the-loop. The bead is released from a height
of 9.4 m from the bottom of the loop-the-loop
which has a radius 2 m.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 :
What is its speed at point A? Answer in
units of m/s.
3.Work
this is basically the same as the first problem, and mass isn't needed because it ends up canceling.
so:
mgh=.5mv^2+mgh <-there is also grav. energy, because A is not the lowest
gh=.5v^2+gh
(9.8)(9.4)=.5v^2+9.8(4)
v=10.3m/s
but that answer is wrong. I'm sure that i have the equation set out right, because at point A kinetic energy is transferred to grav. potential energy.

you did some thing that does not make logical sense. take a look at your plus/minus signs.

so you are saying that one of the value that i plugged in should've been negative?

yep. But don't just change it without understanding why. after it falls, it goes up 4 meters--not down.

i figured out what i did wrong... I rounded wrong. I was off by more than 1% from the real answer, so Utexa's homework service rejected it.

Those drawings are down in Latex?

no, I copied and edited them on paint :)

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be classified into two types: kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state.

2. How is mechanical energy related to sliding beads?

In the case of sliding beads, mechanical energy is the sum of both kinetic and potential energy. As the beads slide down a surface, they possess kinetic energy due to their motion, and as they move to a higher position, they gain potential energy due to their increased height.

3. Can the mechanical energy of sliding beads be changed?

Yes, the mechanical energy of sliding beads can be changed. As the beads move, the amount of kinetic and potential energy they possess will change. For example, if the beads encounter friction, some of their kinetic energy will be converted into heat energy, decreasing their overall mechanical energy.

4. How is the mechanical energy of sliding beads calculated?

The mechanical energy of sliding beads can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. The values of KE and PE can be calculated using their respective equations: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 and PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the beads, v is their velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is their height.

5. What factors affect the mechanical energy of sliding beads?

The mechanical energy of sliding beads can be affected by several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the beads, the height of the surface they are sliding down, and the presence of any external forces, such as friction. Additionally, the type of surface and the angle of the incline can also impact the mechanical energy of sliding beads.