How Do You Calculate Mechanical Energy Lost Due to Friction on a Slide?

In summary, the correct calculation for mechanical energy lost due to friction is W_{FO} = -(\Delta K + \Delta U).
bbreezy

Homework Statement

A 27.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a playground. She starts from rest at a height h1 of 17.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 7.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 7.50 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction (as heat, etc.).

Homework Equations

I used mg(h1)-mg(h2)+.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I inputted 27(9.81)17-27(9.81)(7) and got 2648.7 and added it to .5(27)(7.5^2) which was 759.375 and came up with the answer 3408.075 J.. this seems to be wrong.. What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
bbreezy said:

Homework Statement

A 27.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a playground. She starts from rest at a height h1 of 17.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 7.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 7.50 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction (as heat, etc.).

Homework Equations

I used mg(h1)-mg(h2)+.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I inputted 27(9.81)17-27(9.81)(7) and got 2648.7 and added it to .5(27)(7.5^2) which was 759.375 and came up with the answer 3408.075 J.. this seems to be wrong.. What am I doing wrong here?
Let K be kinetic energy and U be potential energy. In a perfect world, we have

[tex]K_1 + U_1 = K_2 + U_2[/tex]

But in an imperfect world, there will be a change in the sum of kinetic and potential energy, and a simple way to account for that change is to blame it on friction. Thus,

[tex]W_{FO} = K_2 - K_1 + U_2 - U_1 = \Delta K + \Delta U[/tex]

with W_{FO} being the work of friction done to the object. It will be negative, but your answer should be positive due to the phrasing, so change its sign.

You seem to be doing K_2 - K_1 and U_1 - U_2, causing your error.

Likes PaperAirplane

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that is possessed by a body due to its motion or position. It is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

The formula for calculating mechanical energy is ME = KE + PE, where ME is mechanical energy, KE is kinetic energy, and PE is potential energy. Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some common examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, a spinning top, and a person riding a bike.

4. How does mechanical energy relate to work?

Mechanical energy and work are closely related. Work is defined as a force applied over a distance, and it is what causes a change in mechanical energy. When work is done on an object, it can change its kinetic energy by increasing or decreasing its speed, or it can change its potential energy by changing its position relative to the ground.

5. What are the units for measuring mechanical energy?

The SI unit for measuring mechanical energy is joules (J). However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).