Mechanical energy of hanging block

In summary, the problem involves a 4kg block hanging from a string connected to a 6kg block resting on a shelf. The 6kg block is pushed against a spring with a force constant of 180 N/m and the 4kg block falls 40cm. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. To find the speed of the 6kg block after it is released, the forces acting on both blocks must be calculated separately and then treated as a unit. The resulting equation is dv/dt= 8.147- 18x, where x is the distance the 6kg block has moved. The speed can then be solved for using this equation.
Mycroftx
Hello, I've got a problem I've got stuck with. Anyone who can help me solve this?

A 4kg block hangs by a light string that passes over a massless, frictionless pulley and is connected to a 6kg blovk that rests on a shelf. The coeff of kinetic friction is 0,2. The 6kg block is pushed against a spring, compressing it 30cm. The spring has a force constant of 180nm.

How do i fins the speed och the 6kg block after its released and the 4kg block has fallen 40cm?

Anyone out there who can help me?

best reagards
Johan

Attachments

• untitled-1 copy.gif
    untitled-1 copy.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Mycroftx
Hello, I've got a problem I've got stuck with. Anyone who can help me solve this?

A 4kg block hangs by a light string that passes over a massless, frictionless pulley and is connected to a 6kg blovk that rests on a shelf. The coeff of kinetic friction is 0,2. The 6kg block is pushed against a spring, compressing it 30cm. The spring has a force constant of 180nm.

How do i fins the speed och the 6kg block after its released and the 4kg block has fallen 40cm?

Anyone out there who can help me?

best reagards
Johan

Calculate the forces. The force of gravity is acting on 4 kg block. That is 4(9.81)= 39.24 Newtons downward. There is the spring acting on the 6 kg block. The spring has a force constant of 180 N/M (not "nm") so the force is 180(.3-x) where x is the distance (in meters) the 6 kg block has moved. Notice that once the 6 kg mass has moved 30 cm, the spring becomes stretch and the force is now negative (to the left. I am taking the downward force of gravity positive because that corresponds to a rightward pull on the 6 kg mass). There will also be a friction force on the 6 kg mass: its weight (6(9.81)= 58.86 N times the coefficient of friction: 0.2(58.86)= -11.77 N (negative because, as the block moves to the right, the force is back to the left).

That is, assuming that both masses move as a unit, the force is
39.24+ 180(.3-x)- 11.77= 39.24+180(.3)- 11.77- 180x= 81.47- 180x. The total mass of the blocks is 4+6= 10 kg. so
ma= 10 dv/dt= 81.47- 180x or dv/dt= 8.147- 18x.

The interesting part of this problem is that it is not obvious that we can assume that. You will need to calculate the forces on the two blocks separately (gravity 39.24 Newtons on the 4 kg block, spring and friction 42.23- 180x on the 6 kg block.
Solve 4dv1/dt= 3924 and 6dv2/dt= 42.23- 180x separately for the speeds of the 4 kg block and 6 kg block respectively. As long as v2 is larger than v1, the top block is "catching up" to the lower block so the string has no effect. If v2 is less than v1, the string slows down the lower block and speeds up the upper block- you need to treat this as one unit as above.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It can be classified as either potential energy, which is stored energy due to an object's position, or kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its movement.

2. How is mechanical energy related to a hanging block?

In the case of a hanging block, its mechanical energy is a combination of its potential energy due to its position above the ground and its kinetic energy due to its downward motion. As the block falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

3. What factors affect the mechanical energy of a hanging block?

The mechanical energy of a hanging block is affected by its mass, height above the ground, and the acceleration due to gravity. A heavier block or a block placed at a greater height will have more potential energy, while a higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a greater increase in kinetic energy as the block falls.

4. How is mechanical energy conserved in a hanging block system?

In a hanging block system, mechanical energy is conserved as long as there is no external force acting on the block. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy, which is the sum of potential and kinetic energy, remains constant throughout the system. However, as the block falls, some of its mechanical energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat due to friction.

5. Can the mechanical energy of a hanging block be calculated?

Yes, the mechanical energy of a hanging block can be calculated using the equation E = mgh, where E is the mechanical energy, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height above the ground. This equation only applies to systems where there is no external force acting on the block.