1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Energy

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    Given an parachuter and the system parachuter-parachute-Earth and taking in account the resistance of the air, my question is: is the mechanical energy of the system (parachuter.parachute.Earth) a constant, please explain. And please don't talk just about the parachuter because I wan't to know about the parachuter and Earth as one system.
    Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you think?
  4. Dec 10, 2008 #3
    I think it isn't conserved because of the transformation of that energy in heat
  5. Dec 10, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. You've answered your own question.

If the parachutist jumped in a vacuum, his kinetic energy would increase as the gravitational PE of the system decreased. Since there'd be no dissipative forces, the total mechanical energy would remain constant.

But with air drag present, much of his kinetic energy is transformed into random motion of the air--"thermal" energy. (The air gets stirred up, it and the parachute get warmer.) So the net mechanical energy of the system decreases.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?