Mechanical engineer and car engine

In summary, while some engineers will know how to fix cars, this is not required knowledge for a mechanical engineer.
redgoat
Does every mechanical engineer need to be able to repair Automobile engine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Absolutely not. I know of few who can.

Sadly, in the English language, the term 'engineer' has been bastardised to such an extent that it can legitimately be used to describe a mechanic, washing machine repair man, or a train driver.

While it is undoubtedly useful for a mechanical engineer to have hands-on experience with engines (and any other mechanical device, for that matter), it is not essential that then can fix a car!

Last edited:
Yep, while some engineers will know how to fix cars, this will be because of their interest in mechanical things, rather than required knowledge.
I personally want to get into the auto industry and I reckon it wouldn't hurt to know a thing or two about the basics. This doesn't mean I could rebuild an engine.

Mechanical engineering DOES NOT = automotive engineering (I hate that term).

Absolutely not. Out of the 45 engineers passed out with me from the university in 2000, no one other than a friend of mine and myself (as we were serving in merchant navy) can even explain the working of many parts in an automobile. But this does not mean that they were not good at studies or anything like that. We all passed with flying colours. It depends on interests and tastes. Engineers are not expected to know the practical troubleshooting of such machinery. But it is always a plus point if one can do that.

manulal said:
Engineers are not expected to know the practical troubleshooting of such machinery.

Therein lies the problem in many cases. Troubleshootability (if that's a word) can be as important as any of the 'abilities'.

brewnog said:
Sadly, in the English language, the term 'engineer' has been bastardised to such an extent that it can legitimately be used to describe a mechanic, washing machine repair man, or a train driver.
!

What a pity! Fortunately we mantain our prestige in spanish language...

I think a mechanical engineer doesn't need to repair any car. It is not his mission. Surely there will be lower personnel which will be paid for doing so.

Personally, I don't know how to change a wheel (I haven't got car). But I believe it is very dramatic if there is some mechanical engineer who does not know how an automobile engine works or which are its essential parts.

There are a lot of "hands on" skills that one needs to be able to really tear into an engine. That's what mechanics/technicians excell in. I doubt you'd find an engineer that doesn't know the basic operations of the engine, or why certain components are designed the way they are. But to really do something with the engine as far as rebuilding etc... is a different story.

1. What is a mechanical engineer?

A mechanical engineer is a professional who uses principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems such as engines, machines, and tools.

2. What is the role of a mechanical engineer in car engine design?

Mechanical engineers play a crucial role in designing car engines by applying their knowledge of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. They are responsible for designing efficient and reliable engines that meet performance, safety, and emission standards.

3. What are the main components of a car engine?

A car engine consists of several components, including the cylinder block, pistons, crankshaft, valves, camshaft, fuel injectors, and spark plugs. These components work together to convert fuel into mechanical energy that powers the car.

4. How do mechanical engineers improve car engine performance?

Mechanical engineers use various techniques such as computer-aided design (CAD), finite element analysis (FEA), and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to optimize the design of car engines. They also conduct tests and experiments to improve the performance, efficiency, and durability of car engines.

5. What are some of the challenges faced by mechanical engineers in car engine design?

One of the main challenges faced by mechanical engineers in car engine design is meeting emission standards while maintaining engine performance. They also need to consider factors such as cost, weight, and manufacturability while designing car engines. Additionally, advancements in technology and changing consumer preferences pose challenges for engineers to constantly innovate and improve car engine design.