What are some recommended mechanical engineering books?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for good mechanical engineering books, specifically on topics such as engine design, steam engines, pneumatics, and hydraulics. Suggestions were made for books by Den Hartog, Moran and Shapiro, and Munson. The person expresses gratitude for the suggestions.
aussiebeef
Hi people does anyone here know of any good mechanical engineering books. I want to get one but i don't really know what's good or not , i don't really want to waste the money on getting something that isn't very good, the prices aren't cheap for some of those books.
thanks people.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ehm..
something more into specific??

M

i have been getting interested into mechanical design for the moment

Mechanical engineering is a HUGE topic. There are thousands and thousands of books written about all the different areas of mechanical engineering. Even saying "mechanical design" is incredibly vague. You can't give us any more of an idea of what you are looking for?

um engine design, steam engines, pneumatics, hydraulics stuff like that

I would start with Den Hartog's books.

Well, it sounds like your first stop should be in thermodynamics, which means you probably ought to get Moran and Shapiro:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ATPRHO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Basic fluid mechanics is also something you would probably want to know for engines and definitely hydraulics and pneumatics. One of the more popular books is Munson:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470262842/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
no worries guys thanks for the suggestions i look into them thanks again people

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a field of study that involves the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, tools, and engines.

Why are mechanical engineering books important?

Mechanical engineering books provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals, principles, and techniques used in the field. They also offer practical knowledge and application examples that are essential for success in the industry.

What topics are typically covered in mechanical engineering books?

Mechanical engineering books cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, materials science, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and manufacturing processes. They also include subjects such as machine design, control systems, and robotics.

What are some popular mechanical engineering books?

Some popular mechanical engineering books include "Mechanics of Materials" by Ferdinand Beer, "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus Cengel, "Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design" by Richard Budynas and Keith Nisbett, and "Introduction to Robotics" by John Craig.

How can I use mechanical engineering books to improve my skills?

Mechanical engineering books can be used as a valuable resource for self-study and skill enhancement. They provide in-depth knowledge and problem-solving techniques that can be applied in real-world situations. Additionally, practicing problems and exercises from these books can help improve critical thinking and analytical skills.