1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineering Dynamics Problem

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A plastic film moves over two drums. During a 4s interval the speed of the tape is increased uniformly from v0= 2ft/s to v1= 4ft/s. Knowing that the tape does not slip on the drums, determine (a) the angular acceleration of drum B, (b) the number of revolutions executed by drum B during the 4s interval.

diagram of problemhttp://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/plastic-film-moves-drums-4s-interval-speed-tape-increased-uniformly-v0-2ft-s-v1-4ft-s-know-q3878687

2. Relevant equations[itex]v^{2}_{f}[/itex]=v[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]+at
    v=r[itex]\omega[/itex]
    a[itex]_{t}[/itex]=r[itex]\alpha[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution I used the first equation to find that the linear acceleration of the tape is 3 ft/s^2. Since it's translating to drum B I would assume that the point that it touches the top of drum B would also have a linear acceleration of 3 ft/s^2 I then used my 2nd equation to figure out the angular acceleration of B by taking its radius of 15 in or 1.25 ft and dividing it from the linear acceleration coming up with 2.4 rad/s^2 but the back of the book states .400 rad/s^2

Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted