Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineering Thesis, Mining Industry

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,

I am entering in my final year of mechanical engineering and as one of my last major assessment items, i am required to complete a thesis. I was wondering if i could get some ideas on a possible topic.

I am currently employed as an undergrad mechanical engineer at a engineering firm which designs/modifies mining equipment for the coal industry, and overhauls/repairs conveyor pulleys. Given this, i would like to do something relating to this field.

So far i have two ideas.
    1) Investigate the coefficient of friction of coal on different wear liner compounds for the application of DEM modelling. At present, i believe there is very limited information on this and so this value is somewhat 'guessed' when running simulations.
    2) Design a dead-shaft conveyor pulley overhaul bay. will have to be adjustable for suit pulleys of all sizes, capable to support the loads on extracting/installing bearings etc.

What are your thoughts on these ideas? Can you recommend any?

Regards,
    Joel

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted