Mechanical Engineering Thesis, Mining Industry

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Joel is a final year mechanical engineering student seeking ideas for his thesis. He currently works at an engineering firm that specializes in mining equipment and conveyor pulleys, and he wants to choose a topic related to this field. His two ideas include investigating the coefficient of friction of coal on different wear liner compounds for DEM modelling and designing a dead-shaft conveyor pulley overhaul bay. Suggestions for alternative topics include exploring the use of eco-friendly materials in pulleys, studying wear and tear effects and developing a maintenance strategy, and analyzing data for preventative maintenance. It is important for Joel to choose a topic that he is passionate about and has practical applications in his field.
joeleoswoleo
Hi guys,

I am entering in my final year of mechanical engineering and as one of my last major assessment items, i am required to complete a thesis. I was wondering if i could get some ideas on a possible topic.

I am currently employed as an undergrad mechanical engineer at a engineering firm which designs/modifies mining equipment for the coal industry, and overhauls/repairs conveyor pulleys. Given this, i would like to do something relating to this field.

So far i have two ideas.
1) Investigate the coefficient of friction of coal on different wear liner compounds for the application of DEM modelling. At present, i believe there is very limited information on this and so this value is somewhat 'guessed' when running simulations.
2) Design a dead-shaft conveyor pulley overhaul bay. will have to be adjustable for suit pulleys of all sizes, capable to support the loads on extracting/installing bearings etc.

What are your thoughts on these ideas? Can you recommend any?

Regards,
Joel

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Joel,

First of all, congratulations on entering your final year of mechanical engineering! Completing a thesis is a significant milestone in your academic career and I am happy to offer some suggestions for possible topics related to your field of work.

Your first idea, investigating the coefficient of friction of coal on different wear liner compounds for the application of DEM modelling, is a very interesting and relevant topic. As you mentioned, there is limited information on this and it could potentially have a significant impact on the accuracy of simulations. This could be a valuable contribution to the industry and could also lead to further research opportunities.

Another idea that comes to mind is exploring the use of alternative materials for conveyor pulleys. With the increasing focus on sustainability and environmental impact, there is a growing demand for more eco-friendly materials in the engineering field. This could involve researching and testing the performance of different materials, such as recycled plastics or composite materials, in conveyor pulleys.

Additionally, you could also consider studying the effects of wear and tear on conveyor pulleys and developing a maintenance strategy to prolong their lifespan. This could involve analyzing data from your company's pulley repairs and overhauls and identifying patterns or common issues. From there, you could propose a plan for preventative maintenance to reduce downtime and costs for your company.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in guiding your thesis topic selection. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that has potential for practical applications in your field. I wish you all the best in your thesis and future endeavors!

1. What is the purpose of a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry?

A Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry serves as a way for students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills in the field of mechanical engineering, as well as their understanding of the mining industry. It typically involves conducting research, analyzing data, and proposing solutions or improvements to existing mining processes or equipment.

2. What are some potential topics for a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry?

Some potential topics for a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry include the development of new mining equipment, optimization of existing mining processes, exploration of renewable energy sources for mining operations, and analysis of the environmental impact of mining activities.

3. Is it necessary to have prior experience in the mining industry to pursue a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in this field?

While having prior experience in the mining industry can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for pursuing a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in this field. Many universities offer resources and opportunities for students to gain practical experience through internships or research projects related to the mining industry.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry?

The duration of a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry can vary depending on the specific topic and research involved, as well as individual factors such as time management and availability of resources. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to complete a thesis.

5. What are some potential career opportunities for someone with a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry?

Individuals with a Mechanical Engineering Thesis in the Mining Industry can pursue careers in various fields such as mining engineering, mechanical engineering, research and development, and project management. They may also find opportunities in related industries such as renewable energy, environmental engineering, and construction.