Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineering vs. Aerospace Engineering

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    Hello all,
    Hopefully you can shed some light on this for me. Currently I'm attending college for Mechanical Engineering but I'm not sure if this is the branch of engineering I want to go down.

What are the main differences of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering?

What would make you choose one over the other in your opinion? I love mechanical things, but then I love aeonautics too, I'm stuck in the middle. :)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2
    I can't really answer your question, but don't universities now offer mechanical and aerospace engineering as a double major? (I know http://www.uq.edu.au does)
    If I understand correctly, you could take on both at once and drop aerospace if you don't like it.
    And if I'm not wrong, isn't aerospace engineering applied mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering with a certain context? Or am I very wrong in thinking so?

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3

ranger

Gold Member

I can remember someone from this forum stated that they switched from aerospace to mechanical becuase the math is harder in aerospace.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Pseudo Static is pretty much right on. Neither is harder. They're just different. The math is the same no matter what you are doing. One might have difficulties with concepts, but the math is the same. ME is a more general field so you get exposure to a lot of things that can be encompassed in AE as well.

If your University has an AE degree just take a look at the classes required for graduation.

6. Sep 14, 2005 #5
    I don't know much about AE, but ME has lots of different topics you can choose from. Like only in thermal fluid, there are turbomachinery, HVAC, thermal management.

I think AE has a bit narrow applications, and ME can be applied to many areas.

7. Sep 14, 2005 #6
    I've decided to go with Aerospace because thats what I really want to do. As for the math, I dont care if I have to take the hardest math out there. I love math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?