Mechanical Equilibrium-torque

• Thread starter pat666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a metre stick with two masses at different marks, and the location of the fulcrum needed for balance. The participants discuss the use of torque and the conditions needed for equilibrium, and ultimately suggest using a free body diagram to solve the problem.
pat666

Homework Statement

A metre stick of negligible mass has 1 .2kg mass at its 35cm mark and a .4kg mass at its 75cm mark. where will the fulcrum be if it is balanced?

Homework Equations

net torque = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

ive done more complicated questions then this but for some reason i can't figure this one out (logically its more complicated..). I don't know what to do since the radius of revolution will be different for both masses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let be the fulcrum at mark "x" and write the torque of both weights with respect to the x mark.

ehild

i tried that but that keeps making the torque radius the same for both masses and it will never be in equilibrium
.2x+.4x=0 x=0 left gravity out because it just cancels

? I am sure I am missing something simple but i really can't think of it

What is torque at all? Is not it the product of force and the distance of the force line from the rotation axis?

ehild

yes that's what it is by definition but to be in equilibrium there has to be two different rotation radii since the masses are not equal. I cannot figure out what to do because of this?

make drawing.

ehild

i have it didnt help me

Show your drawing. Without it, I do not understand what is in your mind.

ehild

the fulcrum goes at some unknown place between them. didnt bother labeling it because its such a simple drawing.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    438 bytes · Views: 342
Show all the forces and their arms.

ehild

you can draw it!

http://www.convertmpgtowmv.com" .

Last edited by a moderator:
who can draw it-- wtf are you talking about??

I gave up. I wanted a drawing something like this. I made it with Paint in 2 minutes.
d1=35 cm, d2= 75 cm, F1 = 1.2 g, F2=0.4 g, the pivot is at mark x.
What are the conditions of equilibrium?
How do you calculate the torque of a force F with respect to a point, say with respect to the left edge of the metre stick?

ehild

Last edited:
this is a statics problem. What should you do with any statically determinate statics problem?

Answer:

Free Body Diagram

Sized for effect. Seriously, get used to drawing them now OP, they are so useful.

net torque and force are 0, still i end up with two variable to solve for though

pat666 said:
net torque and force are 0, still i end up with two variable to solve for though

You also have 2 equations.

what are my two equations, i have T=rFsin(90) and T=Ia but i don't think i can use that

Have you drawn a free body diagram?

There are two equations:

Sum of vertical forces.
Sum of moments.

You should have 2 unknowns, so those 2 equations are enough to solve the problem.

1. What is mechanical equilibrium?

Mechanical equilibrium is a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a stable, unchanging motion or position.

2. How is mechanical equilibrium related to torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force on an object, and in order for an object to be in mechanical equilibrium, the sum of all the torques acting on it must be zero. This means that the object is not rotating or changing its position.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = r x F, where T is torque, r is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and F is the magnitude of the force applied.

4. How does the direction of the force affect torque?

The direction of the force has a significant impact on the magnitude and direction of torque. A force applied in the same direction as the radius will result in a larger torque, while a force applied perpendicular to the radius will result in no torque.

5. Can an object be in mechanical equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in mechanical equilibrium if it is moving. In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on it must be balanced, which means there is no net force causing it to accelerate or move. If an object is moving, there must be a net force acting on it, therefore it is not in equilibrium.