1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical impact.

1. May 30, 2004 #1
    Hello there,
    I got this little project I am working on, it maybe simple to you , but I have a hard time getting some useful results.
    I have an assembly, it looks like a square box(section) 6 inches long, with a cylinder attached to one end.
    On the end I have the possibility to attach a sleeve made of a rubbery material (I use relatively soft , Shore 80 A Santoprene) . The measured weight of the assembly is 3.77 lbs.
    In my experiment I attached this assembly to an arm (67 inch long), which can swing like a pendulum.
    The arm is rotating on a pin with a bearing on it
    I bring the arm horizontally, and let the assembly swing in the gravity field, initial speed 0.
    At 90 degree (arm vertical) the assembly impacts a concrete wall and bounces back.
    The impact area of the assembly is the ream of the sleeve.
    In reality, the contact is not a cylindrical ring because the contact is not always centric.
    I have instances when the contact is a segment of a ring, since the initial wall-ring contact is an edge of the ring ; under impact forces the edge deforms and at times folds (changing the area of contact) and changing the bounce speed of the assembly.
    To complicate the things, I have some small masses attached to the assembly through some miniature connectors.
    The fashion these masses are attached to the assembly is in such a way that the inertial forces generated at impact pulls them out of the connectors, overcoming the retaining forces. The connecting pins are parallel with the impact force vector.
    I did my homework and I’ve drawn my conclusions regarding this experiment (I don’t mind sharing my thinking about how to solve this problem with any of you).
    Below, I will formulated the questions I want answered as a reality check:

I need to find out;
    1/ the impact speed of the assembly
    2./ the max deceleration at impact
    3./ the maximum kinetic energy developed along the trajectory.

TIA,
    Michael
    :smile: :smile:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted