Mechanical Majors: Engineering Technology vs. Engineering

• Thread starter marcelino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a degree in mechanical engineering technology and a degree in mechanical engineering. The consensus is that a mechanical engineering degree is more valuable and versatile, as it allows for innovation and the development of new procedures. On the other hand, a mechanical engineering technology degree focuses more on the application of established procedures. It is suggested that a straight mechanical engineering degree would be the better choice. Ultimately, the decision is left up to the individual.
marcelino
hi all

I'm wondering which major is better for future jobs "mechanical engineering technology" or "mechanical engineering"

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Either will probably be able to find jobs, but Mechanical Engineering would probably be the more lucrative choice (and possibly more generally applicable). "Mechanical Engineering Technology" sounds like a technician degree, learning to work for a Mechanical Engineer rather than as a Mechanical Engineer.

thank you for replaying sir

hope to hear more opinions from others

I found a good comparison online from ASME.org which basically says what I summarized...

http://www.asme.org/Communities/Students/K12/Technology_Which_Path_Take.cfm"

Mechanical Engineer:
ASME.org said:
An innovator - one who is able to interweave a knowledge of advanced mathematics, the natural and engineering sciences, and engineering principles and practices with considerations of economic, social, environmental, and ethical issues to create new systems and products. The ME graduate can develop new procedures to advance the state of the art.

Mechanical Engineering Technology:
ASME.org said:
A doer or implementor - one who is able to apply a basic knowledge of mathematics, the natural and engineering sciences, current engineering practices, and an understanding of economic principles to the solution of design problems and to the operation or testing of engineering and manufacturing systems. The MET graduate can apply established procedures which utilize the current state of the art.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your cooperation

thanks a lot

A straight mechanical engineering degree would probably be better, if only because there'd be no confusion about any differences in course content, etc.

Me personally i prefer the mechanical engineering only . . . at the end it is your choice

What is the difference between Engineering Technology and Engineering majors?

Engineering Technology and Engineering are both related to the field of engineering, but they vary in their focus and approach. Engineering Technology is more focused on the practical application of engineering principles and involves hands-on training with the use of existing technology. On the other hand, Engineering majors are more theoretical and involve the development of new technologies and designs.

Which major is better for someone interested in hands-on work?

If you prefer hands-on work and practical applications, then Engineering Technology may be a better fit for you. This major will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to work with equipment and systems in the field of engineering.

Which major is more math-intensive?

Both Engineering Technology and Engineering majors require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, Engineering majors may be more math-intensive as they involve the development and analysis of complex systems and designs.

Are job opportunities and salaries different for Engineering Technology and Engineering majors?

Job opportunities and salaries can vary for both Engineering Technology and Engineering majors. However, in general, Engineering majors may have more opportunities for higher-paying jobs, as they involve more specialized and advanced skills.

Can a student switch from one major to the other?

It is possible for a student to switch from one major to the other, but it may require additional coursework and time. The specific requirements for switching majors may vary depending on the university and program. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making a decision to switch majors.