1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical or civil (my case)

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone !

Iv read a lot of threads that brings up this subject . But couldnt find anyone that were in "my shoes"

Im a 24 year old guy who lives in Sweden and works as a carpenter ( 5 years experience )

Iv been studying math , physics and chemistry at evenings and nights for 2 years along side my fulltime job as an carpenter
    and now Im finally qualified to study engineer in collage,

WELL , Im having abit difficullty to choose between mechanical and civil engineer ( bachelor ).
    Im a carpenter and have experience and i guess that will help me if i study civil engineer and eventually help me get a job easier due to my background. But it feels like ur pretty much locked down into buildings and stuff and im not sure if i want that .

BUT mechanical is much more broad in fields to work with. U can work offshore ( thinking of norway) at oilriggs, manufacturing of cars , machines . well the list goes on. I dont know how a workday for a mechanical engineer looks like. Iv search alot and even tried youtube . Tried to download solidworks to get a hunt but the **** gave me a virus...

My Goals are to move to Australia and work as an engineer there. I cant stand the cold in Sweden...

Please help me make it easier to choose !

Best regards , Pierre

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2
    It depends on what you like to do, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I keep in touch with two friends from civil engineering. The first thing they taught me is that civil engineering is a broad engineering as well, you can work in any field you want to with a bachelor in C.Eng from aerospace industry to mining industry. Keep in mind that you are going to study fluid mechanics, structural analysis, design, materials... and other subjects that are all around us.

Posdata: I'm pretty sure that any degree can take you to work in the industry you want, but each degree will approach differently!
    In my university we Mech.eng student see a lot of classes with C.eng students.

Best regards, Luois

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your answer Luois !

The problem is I dont know what I like to do. If Im more into machines or into buildings... Thats why an engineer education that is broad would be good.

Is there any way to get an heads up about mechanical engineer ? A video maybe ?

Will my background as an carpenter be a qualification on my resume if i take my examination in mechanic ?

People ! What would YOU do if u were in my shoes ?

Best regards , Pierre

5. Jan 12, 2015 #4
    Hey Pierre, I don't know if a qualification as carpenter might help in any of those degrees you mentioned, but since you don't have any interest in particular both are great options, I don't want to encourage you to pursue something ,I want to put the options on the table and it's up to you to choose. Anyway I'd choose Mech.engineering.
    Take a look to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqceS7KlzE (day at work as mechanical engineer)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoUi_CfDZP8&index=11&list=PLDg6TjdNA3g5yMwC3_wR81qtw81fE1E4l (Civil engineering worth it?)
    (mechanical engineering a good major?)

(video from American society of Civil engineering)
    I think those videos can help you to understand a little bit better.

Best regards, hope you'll manage to choose the best for you and tell us what major you are going for! ,Luois

6. Jan 12, 2015 #5
    Those were great videos . some of them Iv already seen =)

Sorry if i sounded missleading , I do have interest in both civil and mechanical.

I enjoy to do carpentry , like building houses and renovation,
    I also like to fix with my motorcycle ( an old honda vf750 from the 80`s) when it comes to change motorparts , also with my car . I do all the work by my self ( mostly)

The more I read and the more I research about civil and mechanical engineer the harder it gets for me to make an descision...

Best regards , pierre

7. Jan 12, 2015 #6
    Mechanical engineers make missiles. Civil engineers make targets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook