Engineering Opportunities in the US: Mechanical vs. Software

In summary: Mechanical engineering is great, but it's not the only great option. As for job opportunities, there are plenty of them, regardless of your nationality.Mechanical engineering is great, but it's not the only great option. Mechanical engineering is great, but it's not the only great option. As for job opportunities, there are plenty of them, regardless of your nationality.
Riky
Hi guys, tomorrow I'll start my freshman year in Engineering. I like both mechanical and computer/software engineering, but, to be honest, on equal terms I would choose mechanical engineering, because I like dynamics.
However I wouldn't mind being a computer/software engineer, since I'm a computer geek and I'd like to design softwares.
Both are fascinating for me, so I'll choose according to the opportunities in the US.
So, are there more opportunities for mechanical or computer/software engineers in the US, or there are equal opportunities for both?
Thanks in advance, regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it is the second one but they are both good.

Last edited:
That is kind of like looking at two similar piles of dirt and asking which one is bigger. There are plenty of jobs in both areas, and you only want one job at a time (at least in most cases).

Do what excites you, what you want to do, and don't worry that much about opportunity. Just be the best.

Following up on what OldEngr63 said, you'll be more successful being an excellent, engaged Mechanical Engineer than a mediocre software developer.

Everyone tells me that both mechanical and computer/software give great opportunities for foreigners in the USA. I think every engineering does. However I might think I'm not properly informed. What kind of job do foreign mechanical engineers do in the USA?
So, are there opportunities even for mechanical engineers?
Thanks in advance :)

Both are great, and will offer you plenty of opportunities. As far as job growth rate however, computer/software engineering is dominant. Programming is the most valuable skill you can have presently.

One bad thing is programming jobs are getting farmed out overseas more and more since they can get away with cheap labor overseas or given to those willing to work like slaves, more and more.

There are more opportunities for an excellent mechanical engineer than a mediocre computer engineer.
There are more opportunities for an excellent computer engineer than a mediocre mechanical engineer.

It matters less what you do and more how well you do it.

Ok, you confirmed what I think. A friend of mine told me there are too mechanical engineers in the USA, and electronic/software engineers are more demanded. I read in a website that it's millions times easier to go to the USA as an electrical/electronic and computer/software engineer than as a mechanical engineer. Another friend of mine, that is studying electronic engineering told me to avoid studying mechanical engineering, becase it's also a dead-end career (he thinks mechanics deals only with combustion engines, and electronic engines are going to supplant them). Of course, I don't believe him, since only an ignorant guy could say such things.
Indeed, I said I love both mechanical and computer/software engineering, not electrical or electronic engineering.
So, what are the job opportunities for mechanical engineers in the USA, especially for foreigners? Thanks ;)

What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers in the US?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers in the US are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of mechanical engineers is projected to grow 4 percent from 2019 to 2029, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Additionally, with the increasing emphasis on renewable energy and sustainability, there may be even more opportunities for mechanical engineers in these fields.

What are the job prospects for software engineers in the US?

The job prospects for software engineers in the US are very strong. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of software developers is projected to grow 22 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the high demand for software in various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and technology.

Which field has a higher salary potential, mechanical engineering or software engineering?

Both mechanical engineering and software engineering have high salary potential, but software engineering tends to have a higher average salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers in May 2020 was $90,160, while the median annual wage for software developers was $110,140.

What skills are required for a career in mechanical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in mechanical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, creativity, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and knowledge of industry-specific software are also important for mechanical engineers.

What skills are required for a career in software engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in software engineering include strong programming skills in languages such as Java, Python, or C++, knowledge of software development methodologies, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, being familiar with various operating systems, databases, and programming tools is also important for software engineers.