1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical or Computer/Software Engineering, which one gives more opportunities in the US?

1. Oct 12, 2014 #1
    Hi guys, tomorrow I'll start my freshman year in Engineering. I like both mechanical and computer/software engineering, but, to be honest, on equal terms I would choose mechanical engineering, because I like dynamics.
    However I wouldn't mind being a computer/software engineer, since I'm a computer geek and I'd like to design softwares.
    Both are fascinating for me, so I'll choose according to the opportunities in the US.
    So, are there more opportunities for mechanical or computer/software engineers in the US, or there are equal opportunities for both?
    Thanks in advance, regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

i think it is the second one but they are both good.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  4. Oct 12, 2014 #3

OldEngr63

Gold Member

That is kind of like looking at two similar piles of dirt and asking which one is bigger. There are plenty of jobs in both areas, and you only want one job at a time (at least in most cases).

Do what excites you, what you want to do, and don't worry that much about opportunity. Just be the best.

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Following up on what OldEngr63 said, you'll be more successful being an excellent, engaged Mechanical Engineer than a mediocre software developer.

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5
    Everyone tells me that both mechanical and computer/software give great opportunities for foreigners in the USA. I think every engineering does. However I might think I'm not properly informed. What kind of job do foreign mechanical engineers do in the USA?
    So, are there opportunities even for mechanical engineers?
    Thanks in advance :)

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6
    Both are great, and will offer you plenty of opportunities. As far as job growth rate however, computer/software engineering is dominant. Programming is the most valuable skill you can have presently.

8. Oct 15, 2014 #7
    One bad thing is programming jobs are getting farmed out overseas more and more since they can get away with cheap labor overseas or given to those willing to work like slaves, more and more.

9. Oct 16, 2014 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are more opportunities for an excellent mechanical engineer than a mediocre computer engineer.
    There are more opportunities for an excellent computer engineer than a mediocre mechanical engineer.

It matters less what you do and more how well you do it.

10. Oct 16, 2014 #9
    Ok, you confirmed what I think. A friend of mine told me there are too mechanical engineers in the USA, and electronic/software engineers are more demanded. I read in a website that it's millions times easier to go to the USA as an electrical/electronic and computer/software engineer than as a mechanical engineer. Another friend of mine, that is studying electronic engineering told me to avoid studying mechanical engineering, becase it's also a dead-end career (he thinks mechanics deals only with combustion engines, and electronic engines are going to supplant them). Of course, I don't believe him, since only an ignorant guy could say such things.
    Indeed, I said I love both mechanical and computer/software engineering, not electrical or electronic engineering.
    So, what are the job opportunities for mechanical engineers in the USA, especially for foreigners? Thanks ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook