Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Pencils

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    Good evening

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am a pencil sort of guy - mechanical pencils to be specific. However, I have met with disappointment after disappointment when trying to find a specific brand that will outlast the punishment experienced at the bottom of my bag. I've tried Staedlers, Bics, Papermates... most of your department store brands. Yet after awhile, the clicking mechanism just stops working, or the eraser head falls out, or the clip snaps...

Can anyone nominate a superstar performer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am fond of mechanical pencils too, being a sketcher and one who likes detail.

My take: Who cares if the clip snaps or the eraser falls out? As long as it keeps dispensing lead, I'm golden. I use a proper artgum eraser to erase.

As for the clicking mechanism failing - are you sure? I know that sometimes it will click but not dispense teh next lead. Give it a shake, stand it upright - and keep clicking. Eventually the next lead should "engage".

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I never go anywhere without a .5mm pencil. I use a separate eraser 'pencil'. After trying just about everything on the market, and had them break in my pocket, I just said to hell with it and bought a 5-pack of Bic pencils. That was over 5 years ago, and I still have 2 left. Go figure... the cheapest thing on the market lasts the longest. :rolleyes:

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I keep mechanical pencils in my pocket or clipped on the collar of my T-shirt, unless I'm doing something physical like lifting logs, and then I make sure I'm not wearing pens or pencils. I have spare mechanical pencils in my desks.

I think I had Pentel which was nice, but somewhere along the way, I lost it. :rolleyes:

Now I have Mon Ami (Korea) which is nice, but it's plastic, and would probably break. I've had metal mechanical pencil which seem pretty durable, but I didn't like the grip because it was too smooth.

I use pink erasers which I keep in my pocket, and spares in my desks.

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Ah, yes... Pentel. I used them for draughting (4H for construction lines and 2H for final). They're great, but I found that the 'nibs' bent in my pocket so the lead couldn't feed out. I should point out that I keep my pens and pencils in my front pants pocket, so that problem might not occur with more 'geeky' types who keep them in a shirt pocket. :tongue:

7. Apr 11, 2008 #6

Evo

That's why they are disposable. :biggrin:

I use mechanical pencils instead of pens at work. I usually am given a dozen mechanical pencils at a time by the clerk. I've used cheap ones and I've used extremely expensive ones and I don't find much of a difference. The very expensive ones might last longer, but what I look for is comfort and find that the cheaper ones win out there.

8. Apr 11, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Love the Dr. Grips from Pilot! :!!)

[​IMG]

9. Apr 11, 2008 #8
    [​IMG]

Japanese Zebra pencil. Lasted 4 years and still going strong.

10. Apr 11, 2008 #9

Evo

I like those!

11. Apr 11, 2008 #10
    [​IMG]

I gotta give a vote for the Papermate PhD Ultra (make sure you get the Ultra, not the regular). You can buy them at Staples for like 6 or 7 bucks. I bought my first one three or four years ago, and it was still working beautifully until I lost it a few months ago. I have bought others since then, and I love them :smile: The pencil is very solid (look at the barrel: it is one piece! and the grip is built right in, so it will never slip out or move on you). The eraser is very nice in my opinion (quality erasing, and it is like 1.5 inches long, and the replacements are easy to get). It has a great grip, and a very nice feel, imo :wink:

This is the Ultra: Staples link to PhD Ultra

This is the regular: Papermate Link to Regular PhD

The regular is not bad, but the Ultra is the real deal. I used the regular about 5 years ago, I think. I know the grip will eventually wear out and will start to slip and move on you. Also there are too many moving parts: everything can twist off on the barrel, which just means there is more to break (as opposed to the Ultra with its solid barrel).

edit.. Friday night, posting about my favorite mechanical pencil... what the hell has my life become :cry:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  12. Apr 11, 2008 #11
    I don't like those big ass ones, but my dad sure does. Old joints I think...For me its gotta be .5 mm. I second Cyrus choice of the Zebras they are sweet, and not very expensive.

13. Apr 12, 2008 #12
    ZEBRAS are the shizzit. And I second Danger's separate pencil eraser. The one I use is basically a mechanical eraser. You 'click it' and the eraser gradually dispenses.

Cyrus, where do you get those Zebras?? Mine look way different. I am intrigued.

14. Apr 12, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I buy the Bic ones by the dozen. Anything more expensive just disappears next time I pick up my sketchbook.

15. Apr 12, 2008 #14
    Well I'm trying out both the zebra and the pentels, both of which are performing admirably thus far. The PhD ultra looks like a fine tool, but I don't think I'm ready for something quite that intimidating this early in my academic career.

16. Apr 12, 2008 #15
    Pilot is good, though I lost them a lot as many other people have them too (they just take it for their own). I have an unknown brand of mechanical pencil but I'm still using it.

17. Apr 12, 2008 #16

Astronuc

I like the skinny mech pencils, not fat ones.

I also tend to use pens - razor points.

Actually I do most of my work electronically since my handwriting tends to be illegible - even to me sometimes. :rolleyes:

I think too fast.

18. Apr 12, 2008 #17

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lifting logs? I had no idea you were a closet lumberjack Astro!

19. Apr 12, 2008 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have had the same pencil for over 10 years; it was made in Japan. It is a Berol CA7 XL, 0.7 mm.

(the "XL" means it has the extra features such as passenger-side air bags and automatic defrosters).

I prefer 0.7 mm leads, but that's just me. (I'm heavy-handed, and the 0.5's break too easily)

Edit:
    Still available, but probably made in China now.
    http://cascade.birddogsw.com/ItemFo...Category=b51cd200-dbcc-48e4-88ac-0edad767158e

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  20. Apr 12, 2008 #19

Astronuc

I have some old (unhealthy or dying) trees on the property, which I need to cull. The previous landowner planted trees too close together.

Chi Meson reminded me of Berol. I prefer 0.5 mm. They don't break if one keeps the graphite short, so that the stress field is predominantly shear rather than bending.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  21. Apr 12, 2008 #20

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh right, do you have a really big axe and a checked shirt? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?