1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Principles

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    Hey guys im a first timer here. I need some help with a couple of questions im quite stumped.

1. A bar in a 2-D loading system is 1 metre long and 20 millimeters square in section before loading. Determine the change in its "x" and "y" dimensions if E=200GPa and Poisson's Ratio is 0.3

The force acting in the "x" direction is 60KN and in the "y" direction 40KN.

ok, i know i have to find the stress in the x and y directions first. By dividing the Force by the Area of the bar. e.g. 60000 newtons/ mm2.

i cant seem to work out what the area of the bar would be, i dnt understand "20 millimeters square in section" i need the area in mm2 also.

Then i would work out the combined strain in the xx direction and yy direction.

Finally to work out the change in length i multiply the strain by the original length.

Any feed back would be great, thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You are directly given the area of the cross section. The area is [tex]A=20 mm^2[/tex] You will need to convert that to [tex]m^2[/tex]. So now you have the combined tensile stress with the bending stress. You also have Poisson's ratio for calculating the transverse strain.

From there on out you seem to have a good grasp of the problem.

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3
    Hi Fred thx for the reply :). I think i got a little messed up with my formula but hopefully its ok this time if you could take a look?

To get the stress in the axial direction i divided the force (60,000N) by the area 20mm2 (0.0004m) which gave me 150,000,000 or 150x10 to the power of 6.

Then to get the axial strain i divided the stress 150,000,000 by the Elastic modulus 200x10 to the power of 9 which gave me 0.00075.

Then to get the change in the x direction i multiply the strain in the x direction by the orignal length, 0.00075 x 1 = 0.0075m or 0.75mm ?

Then to get the lateral or transverse strain i multiply poisson's ratio by the axial strain. 0.3 x 0.0075 = 0.000225

Finally to get the change in the y direction i multiply the y strain by the original length 0.000225 x 0.02 = -0.0045mm

Does that sound right?

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Watch out for the units! [tex]1 [mm^2] = 1 \cdot 10^{-6} [m^2][/tex].

6. Nov 10, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Like was already mentioned, your units conversion is not correct on your area. The original area is [tex]A = 20 mm^2[/tex], that equates to [tex]A = 20x10^{-6} m^2 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?