Mechanical prototyping options

In summary: The kit comes with a variety of parts that can be used to make different structures.The company also offers a service where they will help you create a design and then produce the parts for you.There are definitely cheaper ways to go about prototyping your designs, but I think this kit has the potential to be really helpful in speeding up the process.In summary, the kit from Gridlinksinc.com provides a wide variety of parts that can be used to create different structures, has good quality, and is reasonably priced. There are cheaper options available, but I think this one has the potential to be helpful in speeding up the prototyping process.
billblack
I have been looking for quite some time for a source of high quality prototyping parts that I can use to quickly make small to medium sized physical models without having to resort to making one-off parts which eat up time and materials. I think I have found the source here: http://www.servocity.com/html/actobotics.html.
Quality looks good, prices look good, and they make a wide variety of interesting interconnection structures.
Are there any similar products that are available for making reusable, robust structures that are currently in production?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like an adult version of an Erector Set! :smile:

Yes it does!
I went ahead and ordered a fair selection of it, so I shall report how it works.
Some manufacturer in Germany or Sweden used to sell a prototyping kit that was packaged in a cabinet. I used one a long time back at an employer far, far, away but for the life of me I cannot remember the manufacturer.
I just need a faster way to prototype mechanisms. I am, at best, a very slow machinist.

billblack said:
I have been looking for quite some time for a source of high quality prototyping parts that I can use to quickly make small to medium sized physical models without having to resort to making one-off parts which eat up time and materials. I think I have found the source here: http://www.servocity.com/html/actobotics.html.
Quality looks good, prices look good, and they make a wide variety of interesting interconnection structures.
Are there any similar products that are available for making reusable, robust structures that are currently in production?

A came across a really unique kit at an engineering tradeshow recently that I have been looking at getting. www.gridlinksinc.com

I found it to kind of a cross between erector-set and t-slotted aluminum but it was made from a durable plastic.

1. What is a mechanical prototype?

A mechanical prototype is a physical model or representation of a product or system that is created to test and evaluate its design, functionality, and performance before mass production. It allows engineers and designers to identify and address any potential issues or improvements before finalizing the design.

2. What are the different types of mechanical prototyping options?

There are various mechanical prototyping options, including 3D printing, CNC machining, casting, and rapid prototyping. Each option has its advantages and is suitable for different stages of the product development process.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a mechanical prototyping option?

The choice of mechanical prototyping option depends on factors such as project timeline, budget, complexity of the design, desired material properties, and quantity of prototypes needed. It is essential to carefully assess these factors to determine the most suitable option for your project.

4. How does 3D printing differ from other mechanical prototyping options?

3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, involves building a three-dimensional object by adding layers of material. Unlike other mechanical prototyping options that remove material to create a shape, 3D printing allows for more complex and intricate designs to be created. It is also a relatively faster and more cost-effective option for producing prototypes.

5. Can a mechanical prototype be used as the final product?

In most cases, a mechanical prototype is not the final product. It is used for testing and evaluation purposes, and any necessary adjustments are made before mass production. However, in some cases, a prototype may serve as the final product, especially for small-scale production or when the prototype meets all the required specifications and quality standards.