1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical qubits

1. May 21, 2005 #1
    Anybody read the Scientific American article on them socalled mechanical qubits ?

This idea is like this : suppose you have a rope of 10cm long, when you press is together at both ends it will bend towards the right and left side. Now, if you replace this rope by a nanotube of a few nanometers long and you press it together it will evolve in a superposition of bent to the left and bent to the right. This is discovered by Franco Nori from the U of Michigan. To compress the tubes one can do this mechanically or electrically. Is there anybody who can provide me with more info on this very interesting topic ?

regards

marlon

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2
    nobody here reads scientific american ???

marlon

4. May 23, 2005 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I searched and found the pdf version of the article. Just amazing.

I couldn't find anything else about the mechanical devices.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

5. May 23, 2005 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Could you link to it? Sounds pretty interestign.

6. May 23, 2005 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at "Brief Summary in Scientific American (April 2005)" at http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~nori/

Regards
    Don

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?