1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical systems - Please help me with this question!

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Mechanical systems - Please help me with this question! :(

Person_Number M (kg) D (m) R (m/s2)

<431383> 2700 60 1.4

Mechanical Systems Engineering

Assignment 1

An unloaded lorry of mass M kg accelerates from rest and reaches a velocity of 30mph in 10 seconds. It then travels at constant velocity for half a minute before the driver applies the brakes and brings the vehicle to rest over a distance of D m.
    The lorry is then loaded with 800 kg of building materials that need to be transported over a total distance of 0.6 km. After loading, the lorry accelerates over a distance of 80m to attain a velocity of 30mph again. The vehicle subsequently maintains constant velocity before decelerating to rest at a rate of R m/s2.
    Using only your own personal input data as given on the assignment 1 “input values” spreadsheet (penalties will result from not using your OWN data):-

a) Find for the unloaded lorry: ( 6 marks)

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle, and the retarding force necessary to bring it to rest;
    ii) the total time and the total distance travelled during this period.

b) Find for the loaded lorry : ( 7 marks)

i) the force required to accelerate the vehicle and the retarding force necessary to bring it
    to rest;

ii) the total time taken during this period and the distance travelled at constant velocity.

c) Calculate the % change in the momentum of the lorry from loaded to unloaded, whilst travelling at the specified constant velocities. ( 3 marks)

d) Draw the ‘velocity-time’ graph of the motion of the lorry in its unloaded and loaded states, indicating clearly salient points and values. ( 4 marks)

Relevant equations:
    S=(u+v/2)t S = Displacement V = velocity A= acceleration

F= ma

Any help on this question would be extremly grateful as its just a little assignment i need to do - i dont have a clue how too :S I also have to sketch a VxT graph but i will be able to handle that haha :P any help would be grateful cheers guys

Regards mark

The Work i have done so far is

a = (v-u/t) = 30 - 0 /10 = 3ms^2

F = mxa = 2700 x 3 = 8100 N

8100 is the force required to accelerate?

Retarding force : m(-a) = 2700 x (-3) = -8100N ??

Total time.. = 50 seconds? distance traveld 15x50/2 = 375m ??

Am i correct or have i got it totally wrong???

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi enrmmell ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    erm :redface: … you need to convert 30mph into m/s :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook