1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Vibration Problem?

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    Hi, I'm currently studying Mechanical Eng & have a class next semester 'Eng Analysis', which involves a large section on vibration. I've been trying to work my way through S.S.Rao, Mech Vibrations, 2nd edition. There's one specific problem; Project 5.51/Chapter 5/page 292.
    The problem concerns; two step cone pulleys connected by a belt. All relevent variables are given i.e. input/output shaft rpm, driven puley rpms, distance between centres,polar moments of inertia etc.
    I understand that this is a 2 Degrees of Freedom problem, & I should draw a free body diagram ( 2 pulleys connected by 2 springs). It's theinitial 'Equations of Motion' that I can't derive, & without these I can't really start the problem. I've attached a screen shot containing a clear example of the problem.
    Any help thats offered would be greatfully received.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What does the textbook say about this kind of problem? What equations does the text use when describing this kind of problem?

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the question:
    ??? Either I don't understand the question, or there is a typo somewhere. Those numbers don't seem to be consistent with each other.

5. Mar 8, 2014 #4
    Same problem, updated rpm's & diameters...

Hi, sorry here's the question with updated variables i.e. input shaft speed, output pulley speeds.
    Young's modulus for the belt: j1= 1x10^10 N/m^2, Drive step cone mass moment of inertia: j2=0.35 kg.m^2, Driven step cone mass moment of inertia: 0.6 kg.m^2, Distance between centres: c=2.8m, belt width: 19mm
    Please see attached for details.

1st step: Free Body Diagram. this is essentially the 2 masses connected by 2 springs.
    2nd step: Using Newton's 2nd law (∑F=ma), write Eq's of motion.
    3rd: Assume simple harmonics. x=X sin (ωt+ø), x'=ωX cos (ωt+ø)
    4th: determine natural frequencies...
    I think it's 'Rayleigh's energy method', I should use to find the KE of the step cones & PE of the springs.
    It's the initial Eq's of motion that I can't derive.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 8, 2014 #5
    N=300rpm
    No1=650rpm
    No2=450rpm
    No3=250rpm
    No4=100rpm
    d1=400mm
    d2=300mm
    d3=200mm
    d4=100mm

7. Mar 8, 2014 #6

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted