How can I solve 15.11 C in my Mechanical Waves Homework?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of solving a problem involving wave speed and the OP's request for help. They mention not having a clue about how to solve it and their instructor saying it is complicated. They ask for a hint or explanation on how to solve it and someone suggests using the formula distance/time=velocity. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the rules of the forum.
Markzhongwen
Hello everyone I couldn't figure it out a simple way to solve 15. 11 C . Please help ! Very appreciated!
IMG_1473379604.604801.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

Thank you so much for your attention ,Actually I do not have a clue how o do it . My instructor said the way to solve it is very complicated. So can you give me a hint or tell how to do that .Thank you again .

Suppose you are looking at a wave traveling past you. What does wave speed mean, in relation to what you are seeing?

Now how does the figure relate to the wave speed?

Likes Simon Bridge
I don't think it is complicated so much as requires that you understand the physics somewhat.
ie. how would you normally be able to find out the speed of something - say, a car?

The distance / time = velocity . But I do not jab the time here .

Thread locked. @Simon Bridge -- please PM the OP and explain the PF Homework Help rules.

1. What are mechanical waves?

Mechanical waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and transfer energy from one place to another.

2. What are the different types of mechanical waves?

There are two main types of mechanical waves: transverse waves and longitudinal waves. Transverse waves have vibrations perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while longitudinal waves have vibrations parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How do mechanical waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, mechanical waves transfer energy through the motion of particles, while electromagnetic waves transfer energy through the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields.

4. What factors affect the speed of mechanical waves?

The speed of mechanical waves depends on the properties of the medium they are traveling through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. For example, sound travels faster in denser mediums and slower in colder temperatures.

5. How are mechanical waves used in everyday life?

Mechanical waves have many practical applications, such as in communication (e.g. sound waves in phones), transportation (e.g. ocean waves for shipping), and imaging (e.g. ultrasound waves in medical imaging).