1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Waves, The Doppler Effect

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At the Winter Olympics, an athlete rides her luge down the track while a bell just above the wall of the chute rings continuously. When her sled passes the bell, she hears the frequency of the bell fall by the musical interval called a minor third. That is, the frequency she hears drops to five sixths of its original value.

a) Find the speed of sound in the air at the ambient temperature -15 degrees Celsius

b) Find the speed of the athlete.

2. Relevant equations

The Doppler Equation: f prime = f*(v+vo)/(v-vs)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got part a) using the following equation: 331+ (0.6)(-15.0)= 322 m/s

For part b), I tried to use the Doppler equation, setting vs= 0 since the source of the sound is stationary. I plugged everything else in like this :

x*(322+Vo)/(322-0)=5/6 x

This way the x's would drop out, and I would have an answer of 53.7 m/s but this is incorrect. I don't know if I am close or if I am not even on the right track.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?