1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Waves velocity

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The linear mass density of a non-uniform wire under constant tension gradually decreases along the wire while ensuring an incident wave is transmitted without reflection. The wire has constant density μ for x ≤ 0. In this region a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x -60t), where x,y are given in meters and t in seconds. From x=0 to x=20, the linear mass density decreases from μ to μ/9. For x > 20, the density remains constant at μ/9.

i) What is the wave velocity for large values of x (>20m)?
    ii) What is the amplitude of the wave for large values of x? You should be able to determine this using conservation of mechanical energy,
    iii)Give y(x,t) for x>20.

2. Relevant equations

y(x,t) = Acos(kx-wt)
    w/k = v
    v= sqrt(T/μ)
    P = 1/2sqrt(μT)w2A2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i) Comparing given wave equation and y=Acos(kx-wt) for x < 0
    k = 30 w = 60
    v = 60/30 =2
    v2μ = T
    4μ=T
    Tension remains constant so
    v20 = √4μ/μ/9 = 6m/s

ii) E = 1/2mv2. At max kinetic energy potential energy = 0. Total energy = Kinetic energy
    P = ½√(μF)w2A2
    Energy before = Energy After
    ½√(μ4μ).6020.0032 =½√(μ/9.4μ).v2k2A2
    0.0027=k2A2

I have no idea if this is correct and if i can take k to be constant or not.
    Any help would be really appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

What stays constant as a wave travels from one medium to another: the frequency or the wavelength?

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Thank you!
    The frequency stays constant and as the wave travels the wavelength would increase i think. That would mean that k wouldn't be constant.

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4
    Could I work out the frequency initially as f = v/λ = vk/2pi = 30pi and then as frequency stays the same work out k when x=20 by
    k=2fpi/v = 60pi2/6 ?

Thank you for helping me out!

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, frequency remains constant. What can you say about ω?

How does this help when thinking about the power P?

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6
    ω = 2pif so would also be constant. This means I now know all the variables in the power equation apart from the Amplitude so by setting power before to power after I should hopefully be able to get the correct amplitude. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted