How Do You Determine the Source Location of a Sound Wave?

In summary: I am not sure what you are asking. In summary, the problem involves finding the location of a sound source based on the distance at which its wave front reaches three different listeners. The x-coordinate of the source can be found by taking the midpoint of the two x-axis listeners. To find the y-coordinate of the third listener, the distance from the source can be calculated using the velocity of sound waves and the fact that the wave front reaches all three listeners at the same time.
Grapz

Homework Statement

A sound source is located somewhere along the x-axis. Experiments show that the same wave front simultaneously reaches listeners at x = -7.0 m and x = 3 m

a) What is the x-coordinate of the source?
b) A third listener is positioned along the positive y-axis. What is her y-coordinate if the same wave front reaches her at the same instant it does the first two listeners?

Homework Equations

Change in phase = 2pi ( change in x) / lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, since its the same wave front, i just took the mid point. I'm not sure if this is correct.

For b. I know that if i can find the wavelength. I can find the velocity of the wave and since the time is the same i can use it to find the distance.

But the problem is, i don't know how to find the wavelength.

The above equation change in phase = 2pi ( change in x ) / lamda

This equation gives me troubles. I don't have the change in phase, and i don't know lamda. SO how do i solve this? Also i don't know if the change in x is -7 - 3 = -10 or 3 - 7 = -4

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, my textbook does a much better job than wikipedia, thanks tho

i dun get it

For a, since its the same wave front, i just took the mid point. I'm not sure if this is correct.

I'm assuming the source sends out a spherical wave, but you only have to the circular portion as it expands from the source form a bird's eye view. This means you must fit the two points to a circle.

NOTE: reviewing your problem, it's 1d, not 2d, so you're solution is likely correct. It's similar to if you measured opposing points on that circular radius, ignoring the 2nd dimension of the circle.

For b. I know that if i can find the wavelength. I can find the velocity of the wave and since the time is the same i can use it to find the distance.

the velocity of sound waves is a constant through an atmosphere of uniform temperature (which you can also assume since you're in the bird's-eye view, ignoring vertical components). Maybe you're allowed to use that constant.

Hi Grapz,

Grapz said:

Homework Statement

A sound source is located somewhere along the x-axis. Experiments show that the same wave front simultaneously reaches listeners at x = -7.0 m and x = 3 m

a) What is the x-coordinate of the source?
b) A third listener is positioned along the positive y-axis. What is her y-coordinate if the same wave front reaches her at the same instant it does the first two listeners?

Homework Equations

Change in phase = 2pi ( change in x) / lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

You don't need the wavelength; you can already find the distance. The problem says the two people on the x-axis receive the same wavefront at the same time. When you used the midpoint to answer part a, what were you assuming about their distances from the speaker?

If the person on the y-axis has to receive the same wavefront, how far does he have to be from the speaker?

you are assuming that the people are equal distance away from the source right? so that's 5 metres from the source.. so why isn't the distance on the y-axis also 5 metres?

because the third person is on the y-axis...so his/her x coordinate is 0...since this person is not directly above the sound source he/she is not 5 meters away

1. What is a mechanical wave?

A mechanical wave is a type of wave that requires a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. This means that the particles of the medium are disturbed and transfer energy to neighboring particles, causing the wave to propagate.

2. What are the types of mechanical waves?

The two main types of mechanical waves are transverse waves and longitudinal waves. In transverse waves, the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in longitudinal waves, the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. How does sound travel through a medium?

Sound travels through a medium as a longitudinal wave. When an object vibrates, it creates a disturbance in the particles of the medium, which then transfer the sound energy to neighboring particles. This causes a series of compressions and rarefactions, resulting in the sound wave traveling through the medium.

4. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. In general, sound travels faster in denser and more elastic mediums. Temperature also plays a role, as sound travels faster in warmer air compared to cooler air.

5. How is the loudness of sound measured?

The loudness of sound is measured in decibels (dB). This scale is logarithmic, meaning that a small increase in decibels represents a large increase in sound intensity. The human ear has a range of hearing between 0 dB (threshold of hearing) and 120 dB (threshold of pain).