1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical waves

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] mechanical waves

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sinusoidal transverse wave is traveling along a string in the negative direction of an x-axis. The figure shows a plot of the displacement as a function of position at time t=0; the y-intercept is 4.0m. The string tension is 6.8N, and its linear density is 47.22 g/m.

Find the amplitude (cm).
    Find the wavelength (cm).
    Find the wave speed (cm/s).
    Find the period of the wave.
    Find the maximum transverse speed of a particle in the string.
    What is the phase angle in degrees?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So linear density is the mass per unit length. it's not in the units we want (kg/cm), so convert and get 4.722E-4 kg/cm.
    wave speed = sqrt(T/wave length) = sqrt(6.8/4.722E-4), but this isn't the right answer. did i convert wrong?

also i'm having trouble finding the amplitude and wave length, probably for the same reason as above.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2
    it is better to start from meter and kg, since N is in terms of these SI units. after calculation, you can always convert back to cm to give answers.

4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    ok, got that wavelength wave sped and period. what is the difference between wave speed and max transverse speed? also, i'm sure this is really obvious but i can't figure out the amplitude either

5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    never mind i got it, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?